Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a problem with the shaft for my purposes. I did add some shims to the washers on the coil to take up the slack. There are some available to buy but I made mine from a piece of milk jug since I'm cheap and don't like to wait. It seems to work fine. Some others use the coil stiffeners which may be a good idea but I haven't for the reasons listed above. [emoji854]

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing Iv added is a wrap around my handle and Patriot headphones for water...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people think the lower after market shafts are better made than the originals. As far as ears breaking off, as far as I know everyone who had that happen had to get a new coil. I don't think there's an epoxy on earth that can stand up to detectorists.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's some tricked out detector!! Cool!

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Knox looks like its been through hell. That's because it's well used year round. That's what I bought it for. She's great on land, in the water and snow

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, IMHO...nothing beats Detect-ED shafts.

Matt

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people need a cup of harden the **** up...lol

Counterweight?

I've never had a problem, and neither has my father, who is 82 years old and swings it for a LOT more hours than I can.

Sorry, I just Prefer Detect Ed

Matt

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...I was just pointing out that Steve's shafts have more available options.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think some people need a cup of harden the **** up...lol

Counterweight?

I've never had a problem, and neither has my father, who is 82 years old and swings it for a LOT more hours than I can.

Sorry, I just Prefer Detect Ed

Matt

How do you know that you prefer Detect Ed if you haven't tried one of Steve's with the counterweight? Sure you can use it without the counterweight. But you might like it even more with one.

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Detect-ed shaft better, I bought one. I love the fact it has a drain hole at the bottom of the shaft. I do a lot of beach hunting.:metaldetector:

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last I checked, carbon fiber is unable to detect metal. It’s what’s attached to it that counts. All this chatter about what shaft is better is trivial. When I was in the market for a CF shaft I looked at both Steve’s and Detect-Ed and chose Detect-Ed just because I thought they looked better [emoji38]

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
troutbum -- just FYI, I am always happy to include a drain hole in a lower rod, for anyone that wants one. Most beach hunters I sell shafts to prefer NOT to have a drain hole -- their thoughts being that since there are no other holes in the shaft for water/sand to enter into (unless you submerge your shaft all the way to the arm cuff holes), then that makes a drain hole as much of a detriment (allowing water/sand/silt INTO the shaft) as it is a benefit (allowing water to drain out). But since I'm not a beach hunter, I have no opinion on the matter; that's why I leave it as an option for the customer -- drain hole or no drain hole, I build them either way...

Thanks!

Steve

www.stevesdetectorrods.com
www.facebook.com/stevesdetectorrods

P.S. I see that you served (NAM) 1969-1970; THANKS for your service. If you ever need another shaft, let me know -- as I ALWAYS offer a 15% discount to all of those who serve or have served in our military.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread