Nox not picking up silver

Moore$

Sep 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to detecting and have had my equinox 600 for about a year and a half now. I was getting to the point that i was pretty confident in the detector but recently the finds have dried up. Today i noticed that some nails are giving me very consistent tones and reading in the mid 20s with no iron tone at all. I dug one nail at about 5" and it read 22-23 so i laid a silver dime back in the empty hole and covered it up and can not pick it up. I then put a silver quarter in the hole and still nothing so i started playing with the single frequencies. In 5 and 10 it did pick it up with very soft drawn out tones and vdi ranging from the teens to high 30s. I have the current update and this was using the 6" coil. The detector still hits pull tabs and pennies very hard and accurately. Hopefully someone can help me here and let me know if this is operator error or if i have something wrong with my detector.

Forgot to add that i did do a factory reset just before starting any of this today and my testing on the silver coins was done in both park and both field modes with the same results.

Last edited:

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m no expert by any means but have you made any adjustments in the advanced settings that might have weakened the machines ability to detect silver. If so then do a factory pre-set to see if that helps. The equinox loves silver so hope this helps.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you did a factory reset and it still won't hit on silver in a stock mode, something is wrong with the detector.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello2:

MikeRo

Jul 31, 2019
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
ace 350, equinox600, equinox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a similar issue with my 800. I was still finding stuff, thought i was going crazy, but just kinda knew something wasnt right. Sent it in & it was a ground balance issue.....they replaced the entire control pod. I was experiencing jumpy, inconsistent vdi numbers, loss of depth, inconsistent depth readings & tones, etc. You may wanna call minelab & have it checked out. Good Luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the rest, call Minelab for a repair. If we are not the ones that "over tweak" our machines, then it's something in the machines themselves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread