Nubie with Used White XLT, learning curve discoveries

TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A neighbor brought me his White XLT and said have at it. He just didnt have the time and has another one I think just like it. His farm is almost 500 acres and old fallen cabins etc.

My property is mostly old hay field was part of his place years ago. Ive been experimenting then coming inside and reading the pdg file to get an idea about what is what. The manual is really detailed and maybe a little advanced for a lot of the options. Ive gone thru most of the menus making no changes to anything. On my property Im finding what I would hope to detect mule shoes, wagon parts hardware and bolts.

Im going to be looking for tools and expect to find a lot of farm related stuff, Maybe an old shotgun still leaning aginst the fallen down fence post or tree. Some old Civil War skirmishes not in this hollow but I did find a possible cannon ball but it could be an old piece of tumbling media that sometime did end up down a cannon barrel. It measured pretty close to a 32lb shot cannister.

Ok if you made it this far. Im really looking for anything with weight and would like to teach it to ignore things like tin roofing but would enjoy digging up and old iron pot. right now Im not really ready to adjust anything until Ive figured out I need to anyway, if thats possible. Ive already been able to pass over certain signals with reluctance . Im using the Relic Mode most of the time. I like to find something with the Relic Mode the check it again with the other modes and see what changes.

The only things I been tempted to fiddle with is the gain. do you keep notebooks, Im finding it might be the right thing to do. The online manual is \61 pages so im finding what Id like to print and just come in and read a while.

Its fun Im going to combine it with some Ginseng hunting thru the summers and our winter here in Middle Tn are relatively mild so even those warm december days the frost line is mostly gone so digging is easy.

Should I be looking to make adjustments? I did bury some silver, gold, lead, brass, copper, and Im going to do it again. At what depth should I do this im thinking 8" for ease of burying and is there a special way this might be used to calibrate or adjust anything? Is there any value to doing this? I think I learned a little the first time and maybe doing it again I might adjust gain. Id like the highest confidence to be about 8" Im thinking thats when I see values like +75 and less attention to the negative numbers. The horse shoe was about 5-6" and it buzzed in the +70's if I remember.

Will one setting fit all in most cases when hunting for relics?

first find of value.JPG Hay Fork.JPG 003.JPG

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron fools them all
best is to disturb the ground and break the halo if it falls off it was iron. shaps can fool them too if it sticks good chance it silver or copper brass non-motion is the best i think you can tell when some thing is getting close
as for sheets of steel there could be some thing under neath the steel you have to remove and check. your eyes are your best discrimination pick the loop off the ground to see the how deep and big it is. a coin size target falls off a few inches off the ground if it's big the loop can be rise high in the air before it falls off
normally if it's junk the numbers bounce in the negative and back up. all ways x over your target turn 90 degree and re-swing over the target to check the numbers. but sounds like your doing it. look at the icons if the numbers doesn't match the I con good chance it's jun, k for example on my mxt if a penny dime icon a peers but the vdi number says 89 or 93 well that not right it should read penny-dime 77-79 the numbers and icon goes to gather hand and hand you lucky bum we have at lest four to five feet of snow in the fields frost went down 5 to 6 foot deep this year it will be a why all yet fore us up hear...

liftloop

Last edited:

william1

Aug 30, 2006
The mixed mode on the xlt will give you the best depth and discrimination at the same time . If no one here can be of help may I suggest you go the Whites Forum they have a ton of info there.Wish I could be of more help but Im not qualified

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread