Nugget detecting in Eastern Oregon

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Ron, my name is Earl and I live in Christmas Valley Oregon. I had a dredge claim on the Burnt river years ago and did a little detecting there but found no nuggets with the detector. I have recently purchased a garrett infinium and plan on a few trips to baker city this summer. I am going to join the eastern oregon prospectors and miners club as they have some claims around baker city and the fellow I talked to had a gold bug 2 and just bought a new minelab eureka vlf machine. Maybe I'll run into you there sometime this summer. Good luck and was curious what detector you will be using for the gold. Later my friend, Earl

OP
OP
ronh4

ronh4

Greenie
Feb 20, 2005
Earl, do you have a name and address of someone I could contact in that area, maybe the club would do. I use a Gold Bug 2 and will be experimenting with my MXT, which I have not used yet for gold nuggets. Would love to see you around there this summer some time.
ron...

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Here is the address Ron: EOMP,P.O. Box 66, Baker City, Or 97814. Maybe I will see you on one of their claims this summer. The gold bug 2 is a nice machine and so is the mxt. I heard the mxt was good on gold. It makes a nice combination machine. I have an old Tesoro gold demon 2, an old whites 5500 D series 3 coin machine that I really love and just bought a garrett infinium. Still trying to learn the infinium. It is a horse of a different breed. My main problem is getting it to ground balance. I may end up shipping it back to garrett before summer gets here to have them give it the once over to make sure it is in top tune before I go nuggett huntin. Talk at ya later.

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Thanks Willy. I have been there and done that. The suggestions worked but the ground out here is so alkali that when it is wet it is a bugger. The infinium will work in this stuff just fine but in order to get a good ground balance on the wet black sand and the wet alkali soils I have to turn the disc knob between 4 and 5. Then she runs as smooth as a baby's butt. I have not had a chance to try it on the dry soil so I am sure It will work on 0 disc in the dry stuff. My whites and tesoros will barely pick up surface stuff in the wet alkali soil so that is how tuff the soil conditions are here. I do love the infinium though and it is a good machine. I am picking up a couple of dd garrett coils next month from my dealer I don't think I will bother with mono coils as most of the ground I will be working will be highly mineralized. That infinium is a nice machine though and I was surprised it would work at all in the alkali wet soils. I called whites and they are familiar with this part of Oregon and he admitted it was a difficult area and a challenge for their detectors to even work out here. I tell you Willy, sometime when you are wondering all over the place swing on by and you will be amazed at the nasty soil we have out here. When I tried the infinium on the wet soil it did smooth out with the disc up a bit and I was still finding small pieces of wire and bullets down very deep. In fact one target was so deep I gave up digging on it as the soil was frozen and my pick wasn't up to the job. I better get a big grub hoe. Later Willy and thanks for the reply. As always I look forward to your comments as you are one person on the forum that I respect your opinion. Take care my friend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread