Nugget Hunting with 5 inch Coil dd Excelerator

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Minelab Explorer SE (with Coiltek WOT spider, Coiltek Joe, SEF 10x12 )/Bounty Hunter Land Star.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any Ideas??? ???

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ole Grubstake ...on the forum....does it with a Whites MXT..I can attest also ...the MXT "DOES" find gold !!!
You can get an MXT on some of the forums, or ebay ..used $500 - $600 ..or new at around $700

HH to all

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know that MXT finds gold, but I'm interested in another issue, if I use high quality 5 inch coil for Minelab Explorer II . Will it do the same as for example MXT and other detectors under 1000 USD? if not how much will be the difference?

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, GMT, V-Sat and ML2200d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think it finds small gold very well. Those are hot on deep silver but you dont see many posts on gold finds esp. flake of nugget gold. You will find larger nuggets but not the small gold the MXT or GMT will find.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said above my target is 1-10gr nuggets, what kind of difference will be between the performance of 5 inch coil(of about 200USD) on Minelab Explorer II and MXT, DFX or any other gold detectors(not above 1000USD)?

or will there be any difference on 1-10gr nuggets?

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? ???

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ole Grubby is probably your best bet on this but I know that the GMT will find under grain pieces with ease. The MXT wont find as small. the DFX or Explorer wont see them at all. A 10 grain chunk is big to the GMT but a coin detector wont see it! I tried with my XLT with the 5 inch coil and no go. My partner has a Coinstrike from Fisher and it seems to work on some smaller gold. If i want to, in bedrock, I can find super small pieces with my GMT that I need tweezers to pick up!!!! I dont think the coin machines are sensitive enough even with a 5 inch coil to find small gold..

Cooter

Willy

Up in Alaska, I was finding 1/3 grain 'nuggets' with my MXT w. 10" DD elliptical coil running at max sensitivity and hypersat (ground reading 84-86). There are other coin detectors that exhibit fine nugget hunting capabilities but Cooter is, essentially right.. many coin detectors are a bust in the goldfields. ...Willy.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much guys for your replies :).
But you understoond me wrong. I meant 1-10 gram nuggets not 1-10 grains.

Would your answer be the same in this case?

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOOPS. Yea! you can probably find those. The 10 grammer will be easy!

Coot

Willy

A 10 gram nugget??? A stick with a pie plate nailed to it could find that. Actually, I've seen some dowsers and such do exactly that.. without finding any gold. One guy even had a transistor glued to the end of his witchin' wand.. supposedly amplified the signal. Gotta love modern electronics, eh? ..Willy. BTW. he had it wrong; shoulda had a variable capacitor (to tune to the molecular geomagnetic off-resonance field that gold gives off) in series with the transistors 'N' leg and at least 20 turns of 12 ga Litz wire (1/2" core size, 3 layer) to act as an inductive 'surge tank' for really big/close (within, say, 500') nuggets.. don't want to hyper-flatulate the Germanium doping in the transistor.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok guys, I got to the concusion that Explorer with 5 inch coil would be as good as other gold detectors for 10 gram gold nuggets... :) that's fine :)

Will be there big difference between the performance of whites gold detectors(MXT, DFX, GMT) and the mentioned above device on 1 gram nuggets?

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!! :o ;D

The gmt will smoke them all, its also very noisey and has a learnig curve. The DFX on a 1 gram,maybe but you dont se alot of small gold ear rings posted here and that would be an indicator. I have never used a MXT.

Willy

Damfino.. but then again, it probably makes as much sense as the kife I've read/heard regarding LRL's and such. I did, however meet the witchin' wand/transistor guy. I love it when people buy those things 'cause it leaves more in the ground for me to dig. Remember one time, in Doubtful Canyon, Jim and I were kicking back with some cold beers and watching (had a pair of binocs) this guy running all over the place with his LRL, trying to find Pegleg Pete's buried treasure. Man, did we ever get a good laugh outta that. ..Willy.

El Cooter

Mar 20, 2007
Merced, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats funny! My hunting partner is a dowser and I give him a hard time about it. He wont do it around me. You cant beat detecting for gold!

Cooter

FredCobol

Apr 6, 2007
Chandler, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, White's MXT Pro, White's Coinmaster 2 TR Deluxe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Minelab Explorer SE and a Tesoro Tejon. I have a small nugget that I used to test both of these. I am using the term nugget loosly since it is more like a small flake. I am not sure what its weight is.

The Explorer will not see it AT ALL no matter what coil I have on it. I have tried the stock coil, an 8" concentric, and a 5" double D.

The Tejon will see it with both the stock coil and a 5.75" concentric. It can see it in an air test to about 3 inches. The Tejon is suppose to be an OK machine for nuggets, but not great.

The bottom line is that the Explorer is not a nugget machine. If you are looking for a gold machine that doesn't cost thousands of dollars you may want to look at the Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ. It sells for around $650.

Willy

The LST is a nice detector but.. the disc. mode has a preset GB; only the all metal mode has ground tracking. It used to be thought that the disc. mode took a reading (when switching into disc.) from the AM tracking (last value), but James Gifford sez "no". It's factory preset and can pose some problems in certain types of ground. The build quality is top notch though, and ya gotta love the warranty & service. ..Willy.

OP
OP
TreasureGrabber

TreasureGrabber

Jul 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems That Explorer is a top deepest working machine for Coins/Relics/Caches . But for gold it is not recommended, despite the size of the coil... So What would be the best choice detector under 1000 USD for gold nuggets of 1-10 grams?

I'm not interested in very small size gold nuggets, better is to find nuggets of 1-10 grams on maximim depth... So is it DFX or GMT or there is better machine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions