✅ SOLVED Number 22 .. Pewter Button .. but from where?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• N022 East Coast button.jpg
    N022 East Coast button.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 82

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ben is right on. The "wreath" around the outside is the same as other French regimental buttons of the late 18th to early 19th C.

I didn't find any with the horn. Maybe from a musician's frock?

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Many years ago, when I was researching photos of 1700s/1800s French army and British army military buttons, I was surprised to see that some of the British "numbered" infantry regiment buttons used the French regimental buttons "scrollwork" surrounding the number. See the buttons of the British 5th, 88th, and 96th Regiments Of Foot ("foot" meaning infantry), at the following webpage:
numberedregiments

Also, some British regimental buttons show the regiment's number inside a hunting-horn, like on Creskol's button. See the 71st Regiment Of Foot button at the link given above.

At the time of the American Revolution, many British regimental buttons were made of pewter.

In view of those three facts, my guess is that Creskol's button is from the RevWar era British 22nd Regiment Of Foot.

Note that the very-extensive British army "numbered-regiments" buttons webpage linked above does not show a button for the 22nd Regiment... which leaves open the possibility that my guess is correct.

When I first viewed Creskol's button, seeing the "scrollwork" I immediately though it was a French regimental button... but I've never seen a French one with the regimental number inside a hunting-horn surrounded by the "scrollwork." As DCMatt's fruitless search indicates, the French do not seem to have had a regimental button with that combination of emblems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a "for what it's worth": the folks at the site below show the 9th light infantry (or Leger, which I think means light) as being a French, although these guys are selling reproductions and I have no idea how accurate their identifications are. The Discriminating French and American Army Buttons of the Napoleonic Wars
These folks seem to think so too: FR228d- Officers Button of the 10th Light Infantry

Now, that isn't improbable. I found that other Tunic button in the same area. Others have been found there as well.

Attachments

• french tumic.jpg
    french tumic.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[FONT=&quot]Bouton d'uniforme du 6e régiment d'infanterie légère.

[/FONT]
french button.JPG

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
french button 2.JPG

Do Google image search in French and you'll see a bunch.

"Bouton d'uniforme du régiment d'infanterie légère"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everybody for your help. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creskol,

The more and more I stare at your button I think I see "29" not "22". And using DCMatt's suggestion I did see one for the 29th that seems pretty close to what you have. What do you think?

Respectfully,

Batch

And, by the way, super nice find!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Creskol,

The more and more I stare at your button I think I see "29" not "22". And using DCMatt's suggestion I did see one for the 29th that seems pretty close to what you have. What do you think?

Respectfully,

Batch

And, by the way, super nice find!

Now that you pointed it out, I went for a closer look, and it could well be a 29 instead of a 22. Good eyes! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread