just.neil

Dec 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do the readings change when I get the target out of the hole. Sometimes I'll get a 10 number difference like 50-60 but after I get the target out its a solid number like 54. Is it due to high mineralized soil or wet ground I don't know but I might be passing up good targets by not digging. And sometimes it'll still vary on trash

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Those vdi readings aren't always dead on. It's kinda like expecting a woman to tell you the truth all the time. Gotta learn to judge those subtle nuances. And God didn't just make beautiful women hard to read, he (or she) made gold and precious metals look a lot like the crap you wish you wouldn't have spent an hour digging out from under a tree root.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Air testing of different items gives a person a general idea what to expect when you go over a target.
Aluminum pull tabs will fall in a certain range, or a copper penny. Nothing is written in stone when it comes to reading the screen as it lies more than a politician.
The different sounds the machine makes is the best indicator of the target. It takes practice and when somebody has a thousand hours of time on the machine they get to know it.
Ground conditions is one of the major factors, whats buried around the target? Nails, rust, another higher/lower conductor metal. How wet or dry is the soils, and what type can impact it as well.
If it beeps and the high beeps are good targets then dig. It's the only way you'll learn the machine, and having no doubt if it is or it isn't a keeper.
You have proven two things and it's the machine works and it lies.
Best of luck on the next outing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

just.neil

Dec 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you both for the answers. Good answers, I'll put less trust in the numbers and more in the sounds. Lmao like expecting a woman to tell you the truth. Classic

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I agree with Peppery, I had it happen yesterday. When you get a good VDI or sound and then a small grunt but the good sound is more dominant, dig it. Cleaning the hole a lot of time will remove the grunt single. That grunt a lot of time is iron or maybe a tiny piece of foil. Clean the plug out and usually get the true signal. 5X8 or smaller coils always helped me separate a lot better. Just stay in a Holiday Inn Express a couple of days. That'll fix it.:laughing7:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Just.Neil,

With ground conditions, iron, co-related targets...etc. the VDI numbers are usually brought down. IMHO: I listen and hunt by tone only. From years of experience, I have found digging all repeatable signals to be the best advice.. Do I dig lots of trash, sure, but my share of very good to great finds only reinforce my thought process on digging. Also the size of the object affects the depth reading, so the depth gauge also lies.

GL & HH

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread