Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190324_190111.jpg 20190324_190048.jpg

Upvote 0

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depressions do appear to be pecked out, so man made. I have seen similar stones in the creeks here where (I believe) they served as the anvil portion of a bipolar system for splitting up quartz and quartzite gravels and small cobbles in the creek bed. Were these found in a similar context? The "nutting stones" I have seen that seem more likely to be good for cracking nuts tend to be larger with deeper depressions and found in more upland sites where the people would have camps or villages. (My own experience using stones like this for both bipolar breakdown of quartz cobbles and breaking up hickory nuts seems to confirm this.)

OP
OP
J

Jmac96

Greenie
Mar 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find these on camp sites in fields. Guys around here call them nut stones. Was hoping someone would explain them. I have several of them. Most of them the holes or depressions are identical on both sides

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find these on camp sites in fields. Guys around here call them nut stones. Was hoping someone would explain them. I have several of them. Most of them the holes or depressions are identical on both sides

Sounds like I'm wrong then. If used the way I was thinking, should be near a rock source and have lots of broken up rocks around them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread