Nutcracker?

TommyBoy58

Sep 19, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image1.JPG image1.JPG image3.JPG image2.JPG What is it???Found these two iron pieces a few inches apart. when put together look like a tool. Found in 6inches of mud near a pond in Florida. Perhaps wood handles went over long iron tines? IMG_2719.JPG IMG_2717.JPG IMG_2718.PNG
Something was either held or crushed between the inner points. Dont think anything extended past the pivot point.

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOOKS LIKE DIVIDERS FOR DRAWING CIRCLES FOR SHEETMETAL WORK .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TommyBoy58

Sep 19, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not big enough for jars I would think as it would only fit on a lid the size of a quarter.

Dont think its for drawing as tines are flat. I think the work point is the two pointy things. perhaps wood handles went over tines and you would sqeeze a nut. cant find a pic of one though. Its roughly forged and iron so it is very old.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some kind of old carpentry layout calipers. ???

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would you post a picture of it from the side, especially the blunt end. Is it thick enough to be a bullet mold for say .32 or the like. I agree with wood handles, and think if they are pliers that the blunt end is the working end with the two arches being formed as leverage points for the pointer and middle fingers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TommyBoy58

Sep 19, 2015
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I added photos. Bullet mold sounds interesting. Leaning towards nutcracker myself.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts are two different items 1 could be old fireplace tongs 2 Being that is was found by a pond might be fishing related also being found in wet location, extreme amounts of the metal could have rusted away and the pivot point is very large to just be a nutcracker, made large usually means a lot of force is exerted, like on a pair of pliers compared to scissors the pivot points are sized to the job the tool is used for.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions