Nutting stone, Bow drill or Geofact? ID Help!

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3,059
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 2,123
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,155
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 2,168
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Re: Nutting stone, Bow drill or Geofact?

I don't think it's a geofact. Lets see what the experts say :thumbsup:

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bump!!!! I'm not sure Rock Collector, because it's so small, I think it may be natural, though the dimple looks like pictures of nutting stones. There are alot of natural conditions that cause this sort of formation. Are nutting stones found in your area? Hopefully someone from near your part of the world will speak up :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really hard to tell, picture is so small, and poor quality (no offense) that you can't blow it up to look inside the hole... From what you can see, personally I lean towards a geofact..... I found a lot of them in Missouri like that and 99.9% were geofacts.... The ones that were real showed signs in the hole of being worked or used by man.....Just my opinion...

OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Really hard to tell, picture is so small, and poor quality (no offense) that you can't blow it up to look inside the hole... From what you can see, personally I lean towards a geofact..... I found a lot of them in Missouri like that and 99.9% were geofacts.... The ones that were real showed signs in the hole of being worked or used by man.....Just my opinion...
This is a as zoomed in as I could get.
http://m1194.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/TheRockCollector/photo.jpg.html?o=0

OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
naturegirl said:
Bump!!!! I'm not sure Rock Collector, because it's so small, I think it may be natural, though the dimple looks like pictures of nutting stones. There are alot of natural conditions that cause this sort of formation. Are nutting stones found in your area? Hopefully someone from near your part of the world will speak up :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
The area Were I found it, was an aboriginal area.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the indentation had been used as a Bow Drill Capstone it would be worn very smooth and highly polished inside the hole and I don't see that in your pictures. I say it's a natural stone.

OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Here is an even better picture.
http://m1194.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/TheRockCollector/photo-2.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
TheRockCollector said:
What's is a nuting stones hole like?

It should be smooth and even, and pretty much round. Any rough spots would be polished off, or if too hard would have just put too much friction on the stick being rotated below (in the case of a bow drill) and wouldn't have worked.

OP
OP
TheRockCollector

TheRockCollector

Jan 8, 2012
Toronto,Ontario
Primary Interest:
Other
joshuaream said:
TheRockCollector said:

It should be smooth and even, and pretty much round. Any rough spots would be polished off, or if too hard would have just put too much friction on the stick being rotated below (in the case of a bow drill) and wouldn't have worked.
What do you think it may be?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockCollector said:
joshuaream said:
TheRockCollector said:

What do you think it may be?

Geofact, rock, also sometimes known as indian sex rock....... :laughing9:

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it's too small to be an effective capstone and would be almost an effigy nutting stone.....and nutting stones are not usually that narrowly "holed", but rather larger and indented..at least IMHOP.
I have found a few of both and they are generally within certain hand sized ranges. We do have to look and look and look over and over on some pieces, don't we! Especially with tools and even more, expediently made tools.. could be some other sort of abrading stone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread