Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NYC's largest playground

I was lucky to grow up in The Bronx, the only place in the world that I know of that is great enough always to have "The" always preceding it :headbang: I lived 3 blocks away from acres of playground, filled with trees and animals; a place that adults called "The Bronx Zoo". Back in the early 60's you paid to get into the zoo, maybe once, or twice a week. Today, I think they have only one day a week where it's free to the general public.

Anyway, the zoo closed in the early evening, and that is when we would use it for games of tag and roundup. We had pulled up a small section of fence and you would crawl through on your belly to gain entrance and pull the fence back into place. We would have a blast, but never vandalized anything inside the property, after all illegal entrance was bad enough. What we did have was a large park to run around in and if you fell, dirt was so much softer than concrete ;D

Sometimes on the weekends we would also play in there, all of us new the zoo inside out. There were very few places that were foreign to us for any period of time. We considered ourselves great explorers, always looking for another perfect place to play. One place was a barn like shelter, that had large rafters that you could run along, below it were bales and bales of hay. Perfect place for roundup. You would climb up to the rafters and run around if the person who was it was close to you, you would just jump into the bales of hay.

Then there were the sometimes abandoned caves for a day. These were the outside caves for the Polar Bears, if they were not out we would climb over and run through the caves. Again a great place for tag, until a zookeeper happened along.

There was one little mistake we did make in the first, or perhaps second year and it did teach us a lesson. The lesson was look before you leap. We had left one of the newly found structures and were heading back to the main population when we happened upon a fence that was angled somewhat like a ramp. Since we could see people of o the side, we didn't think much of this fence as it was just another toy to us. Although it was steep, it still faced away from us, so it was easy enough to get a running start and jump over it. We were lucky to stay parallel to the fence because as we got closer to the people we could see them pointing at something inside the pen we were in. When we turned, sure enough we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. This was a pen for Wolverines :o It took us only seconds to scamper that fence back to safety. I am not even sure those animals saw us, but that scare was good enough for me that day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread