Oak Tree Shilling or copy?

njguy

Jul 2, 2011
I got this from my Dad some 30 years ago. He's since passed away ('05) and recently I rediscovered it in a box of old things I had laying around when I went to add an 1879 silver morgan dollar I recently found in an old Pennsylvania barn. (I'll post that next) I think its fake, sounds my like a modern quarter when it hits a hard surface unlike what silver coins sound like. The feel of it is also suspicious, kinda thin; thinner then the quarter and the lettering seems almost dripped on. as a kid I took it as being real, but now, all these years later, I have my doubts. Especially since I see what appears to be a letter "c" on one side. Still though I'm curious to find out what it is for certain and any value such a thing may hold beyond my sentiment of course. Thanks!

Attachments

• probable-fake-shilling-1.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-1.gif
    856.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • probable-fake-shilling-2.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-2.gif
    748.5 KB · Views: 895
  • probable-fake-shilling-3.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-3.gif
    671.8 KB · Views: 818
  • probable-fake-shilling-4.gif
    probable-fake-shilling-4.gif
    795.7 KB · Views: 1,245

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is a fake. As for being thin,it is most likely too thick to be an original. A genuine coin is scarcely thicker thatn a piece of paper!

OP
OP
N

njguy

Jul 2, 2011
Thanks, for confirming that for me. Does it hold any value, even as a fake? Any idea as to when/where this was made?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you can see the brass wearing through the silver plate and the casting seam. As a copy, it would be hard to pin down who and when. Made before the hobby protection act (1973) since it does not have "copy" on it, unless it was made overseas. I would say whatever you could get as a curiosity piece, but people don't like to deal in fakes, especially without the word "copy" on it

HH
-GC

treasurechicNH

Sep 30, 2008
Southern N.H.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex + Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately it looks like a copy, a couple years ago I found an OakTree Sixpence, it was so thin I thought it was a piece of old foil at first, also these coins were stamped by hand so details are crude and the edges tend to be off center and flattened.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

Yes it is a copy as outhers have stated, the easiest way to tell is the letter W in NEW ENGLAND. On all Oak Tree coinage the middle of the W crosses at the top and is connected with a line. There is no W that crosses like the one posted. The picture below is the real deal :thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• 14918_2203_2_lg.jpg
    14918_2203_2_lg.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 958

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread