Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the Kruzer out yesterday to my pounded site. I'm detecting in 3 tone in the trashy areas and it's really great for picking out the coins in the trash. You just need to slow down and spot them. Gain is set at 89. The speed of unmasking really helps here. Moving on to the baseball diamond I switched the Kruzer to 2 tone in 5khz, and because the 2 tone is pretty chatty, I lowered the gain down to 65. I started picking up really deep signals in the 79 to 90 range or with no VID at all. Most all of these turn out to be really old wheat cents. I pulled 9 wheat cents out of the ground where I didn't hear them at all in the 3 tone on my Kruzer, and either missed them on my Racer 2 in 2 tone or didn't hear them. Again my gain is set at 65. These Wheat's were coming out at 10+ inches. Also remember that you can adjust the depth level that the detector displays an ID for a detected target, default is medium. I set it to high and use it as a reference only. The tone really should tell you when to dig. Maybe this will help someone who feels that 2 and 4 tone is too chatty and that decreasing the gain does not necessarily mean you will sacrifice depth.
Cheers!

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the Kruzer out yesterday to my pounded site. I'm detecting in 3 tone in the trashy areas and it's really great for picking out the coins in the trash. You just need to slow down and spot them. Gain is set at 89. The speed of unmasking really helps here. Moving on to the baseball diamond I switched the Kruzer to 2 tone in 5khz, and because the 2 tone is pretty chatty, I lowered the gain down to 65. I started picking up really deep signals in the 79 to 90 range or with no VID at all. Most all of these turn out to be really old wheat cents. I pulled 9 wheat cents out of the ground where I didn't hear them at all in the 3 tone on my Kruzer, and either missed them on my Racer 2 in 2 tone or didn't hear them. Again my gain is set at 65. These Wheat's were coming out at 10+ inches. Also remember that you can adjust the depth level that the detector displays an ID for a detected target, default is medium. I set it to high and use it as a reference only. The tone really should tell you when to dig. Maybe this will help someone who feels that 2 and 4 tone is too chatty and that decreasing the gain does not necessarily mean you will sacrifice depth.
Cheers!

Doctor, how is the depth? I saw a test garden video and the Kruzer was not hitting a quarter at 10". In field conditions - have you hit quarters or dimes at 10"? Other than pennies what is the deepest coin you have dug to date? I see you hit a penny a 10" so I find it hard to believe that it can't hit a quarter at 10".

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've gotten 2 silver Quarters with the Kruzer so far, but they were no more than 5 inches or so deep. I'm not sure if I could hit a quarter at 10 inches using 3 tone, on the default 89 gain, but I wouldn't use 3 tone in anything but the trashy areas. I have no doubt that 2 tone would be able to hit a quarter at 10 inches. Then again if I was in 2 tone and had my coil over a quarter at 10 inches and didn't hear it, how would I know it was there? The deepest coins that I have dug so far have been the Wheaties and a 3 cent nickel that I dug up in the woods. That one was about 6-7 inches down. Its smaller than a dime and copper. All these finds have been while using 5khz.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must say, that this Kruzer as well as the Racer 2 has been finding tiny targets as well. This Indian head cutout was found in the woods this past Saturday. At the time i thought it was junk, then when I was clearing out my finds pouch on Sunday I took a closer look. it appears as if someone cut this out of a IH cent and made a pin out of it. I also found an 1881 IH cent, my only finds after 5 hours in the woods.

20180415_140716[1].jpg
20180415_140838[1].jpg

20180414_183007[1].jpg
20180414_182815[1].jpg

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 inches should be no problem:

Top Member Reactions