cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug ten's of thousands of holes in the last 5 winters at this ranch we have stayed at in east Texas (Private Property with owners consent) always keeping my eyes open for Native American Artifacts while Metal Detecting. I even hunt while taking walks with my husband as my eyes are always peeled to the ground looking for arrow heads, or other stone tools, or up in the trees looking for trail marking trees. He has to take my hand to get me to keep walking! LOL All this time, I haven't found a trace of Native American artifact, I was losing hope!

Yesterday while on a walk with my husband I was looking on the ground and came across big pieces of clear broken glass near a play area for the kids, so I picked them up. Then I found some bright green glass and several other pieces until I came across what I thought it was the glass from the old brown medicine bottles, when I got it in my hand I could not believe my eyes!

I posted on the "What is it" and someone suggested I post this here, and I thought that was a good idea. I don't know much about this kind of stuff and love to read the feedback and learn from all of you!

The ranch I stay at is 12 miles of woods, hills, springs and nature. There are several Native American Trail trees on the ranch so I knew there had to be Native American Artifacts here, but like I said I was losing hope!

Here is the obsidian tool that I found yesterday. P1080005.JPG P1080007.JPG P1080010.JPG P1080011.JPG P1080014.JPG P1080015.JPG It is just one tool, I took different photos with different backgrounds to give a different perspective. I am very interested in Native American artifacts, if you are in the area and want to share your knowledge with me or even if you don't have any knowledge LOL and want to discover some things with me, send me an email maybe we could hunt together for a day and see what we can come up with!

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice first find!!

You're hooked now. That piece is some nice material, probably not obsidian though. But is definitely worked flint.

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice first find!!

You're hooked now. That piece is some nice material, probably not obsidian though. But is definitely worked flint.

No its not Obsidian, But I am not sure of the lithic. The artifact I could not see it as a scraper, maybe an expedited knife. It has been worked for sure. Nice find!
You can stop looking at the trees for native markers. Most all of the trees are less than a 100 years old.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a wonderful first find! Not sure what it is but it's definitely worked. Now your eye is in tune with one of the lithics and you will be seeing them more easily! Good luck!

OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No its not Obsidian, But I am not sure of the lithic. The artifact I could not see it as a scraper, maybe an expedited knife. It has been worked for sure. Nice find!
You can stop looking at the trees for native markers. Most all of the trees are less than a 100 years old.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post! Also I wanted to et you know, there are plenty of 100 plus year old trees on this property. Here is one of the oldest trees that I have found here. Witness Tree 01.JPG Witness Tree 06.JPG Here are some of the other interesting trees I have found. 1.JPG 1DSCN164312.JPG 8DSCN1659.JPG 8DSCN1663b.JPG Tree 5 Honey Moon Hill Sand Road 2.JPG Tree 8 Eight-001.JPG Tree 8 Eight-059.JPG tree 75 acres  (10).JPG I have a jump drive somewhere with the majority of my tree photos on it, I will have to find it, I know I have some great trees on it! Thanks again for your comments.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice first find!!

OK that was my guess, would you just call it black flint then?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen trees with the crook in them here in GA. Not many but it must be a natural defect in the growing. There is noway they were created by NA by the age of the trees. Nice scraper type artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread