🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Obviously a button of sorts. Located in an area that has known mid 1800's activity.

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

Attachments

• 20230305_135642.jpg
    20230305_135642.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
  • 20230305_135622.jpg
    20230305_135622.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a curious find. Although I see no markings on the reverse, some gentle cleaning might uncover something. I realize that is a long shot, but may help until others chime in.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
B

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
What a curious find. Although I see no markings on the reverse, some gentle cleaning might uncover something. I realize that is a long shot, but may help until others chime in.
Yea, good thought. I don't see a thing maybe something is on there.

Upvote 0

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure? I thought they had a more solid fixing, not a button loop. At least the ones I've seen have.early wrist
Are you sure? I thought they had a more solid fixing, not a button loop. At least the ones I've seen

Early wrist escutcheons have a threaded post on the underside. A screw came through the stock under the trigger guard and screwed into the post to hold it in place. It looks like this one has been partially crushed, that’s why it looks like a loop.

Upvote 0

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure? I thought they had a more solid fixing, not a button loop. At least the ones I've seen have.
Not sure what happened when I tried to reply last time, let’s try this again.
Early wrist escutcheons had a short round stud on the back that was threaded. A screw came up through the stock under the trigger guard and screws into the post to hold the escutcheon in place. It looks like this one has had the post partially crushed.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what happened when I tried to reply last time, let’s try this again.
Early wrist escutcheons had a short round stud on the back that was threaded. A screw came up through the stock under the trigger guard and screws into the post to hold the escutcheon in place. It looks like this one has had the post partially crushed.
I understand how these were fixed, my question is the item looks to have a button style loop not a pillar/post that you describe. I think I would need a closer look at that area to understand which it is.

Upvote 1

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand how these were fixed, my question is the item looks to have a button style loop not a pillar/post that you describe. I think I would need a closer look at that area to understand which it is.
I understand your point, but looking at the picture, it looks like a post to me, not a button loop. With that said, I’ve been wrong before, just ask my wife….😉

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread