OBX Spanish Cob? Any info would be wonderful!

HedgemaidOBX

Sep 28, 2008
Hi.
Last summer I found this crusty coin on the beach where I live. I don't know if it is real but I can't see why it wouldn't be.
It has the pillars and waves on one side of it and a cross or x on the other. It is hard to tell what is under the crust. It was in a likely location for being an item from a wreck we have here on the OBX.
I don't know much about coins. Could it be a "Lima" minted coin?
My friend who works for the marine fisheries said it looked real. He said divers here sold silver ones like it at a local bar so that tells me there are more like it in my area. He said the crust could be cleaned off to see.
I don't want to ruin it by trying to clean it. He said something about vinegar.
Please let me know if you think this is a real coin.
There is a coin show rolling through soon should I show it to someone there?

More Questions:
* Would uploading more pictures in different light help?
*** Are there any characteristics that would help define authentic coin verses some kind of souvenir or copy?
**** What caused the crusts to form on the coin? What is it made of? (My friend said it may have been in something that had other metal things in with it that caused the crusts to transfer onto this coin.)

Thank you for any information about my find.

Attachments

• cobfront.jpg
    cobfront.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 940
  • cobback.jpg
    cobback.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 939
  • sidecob1.jpg
    sidecob1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 864
  • backcob.jpg
    backcob.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 869
OP
OP
H

HedgemaidOBX

Sep 28, 2008
bradyboy said:
are you kidding?

Why would I be kidding about asking about my coin? My coin was a very exciting thing to find. I was afraid to come on here and be made to feel stupid. I just wanted some help.
All I seem to be getting is that it might be silver.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cobs were aboout 92 or 93% silver. Coins containing less than those percentages were also minted and debased by 20% or more; like the 'transitional' coins of 1652 (Yours is not that debased coin.) The balance of the coin was composed of copper (usually) and sometimes iron and other metals. Lead coins I associate (with distaste) to reproductions. The green stripe in your coin might suggest copper; the brown area--iron.
These coins were, due to their manner of manufacture, not of uniform diameter, but weight was well defined--except in the few years of radical debasement.
Proper cleaning of the coin should produce more clues as to its origination; and possibly its authentication.
Don.....

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
HedgemaidOBX said:
bradyboy said:
are you kidding?

Why would I be kidding about asking about my coin? My coin was a very exciting thing to find. I was afraid to come on here and be made to feel stupid. I just wanted some help.
Dont pay any attention to Brady, Hedgemaid. He is always sceptical and I dont know why. :icon_scratch:
Welcome to TN. Never be afraid to ask questions.

When I get more time, I will comment. Be patient. First glance looks like an 8 Reale. Testing it to see if its silver would be a good place to start. :thumbsup: Is that gold plating? Hard to tell by the pic. :-\ Where did you find it?

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome aboard.

Interesting find, I can't tell you if its real or not, but I would still love to find one.

OP
OP
H

HedgemaidOBX

Sep 28, 2008
bigcypresshunter said:
HedgemaidOBX said:
bradyboy said:
are you kidding?

Dont pay any attention to Brady, Hedgemaid. He is always sceptical and I dont know why. :icon_scratch:

When I get more time, I will comment. Be patient. First glance looks like an 8 Reale. Testing it to see if its silver would be a good place to start. :thumbsup: Is that gold plating? Hard to tell by the pic. :-\ Where did you find it?

Thank you. I shouldn't have let that hurt my feelings.
How do I test it for silver? I don't know how to clean it either. Should I clean it?
I wondered if it was gold or gold plated as well. You can definitely see a gold metal in the sun. But gold doesn't rust or oxidize or whatever this coin has done, right?
I found it on the beach on the high tide line.
I am a seashell collector not a treasure hunter so it caught my eye because it was not a shell. My husband was very excited because his dad love to metal detect and had found some kind of Roman Coins about twenty years ago on the same beach. But they were iron of some kind.
We live near Atlantic Beach.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
HedgemaidOBX said:
bigcypresshunter said:
HedgemaidOBX said:
bradyboy said:
are you kidding?

Thank you. I shouldn't have let that hurt my feelings.
How do I test it for silver? I don't know how to clean it either. Should I clean it?
I wondered if it was gold or gold plated as well. You can definitely see a gold metal in the sun. But gold doesn't rust or oxidize or whatever this coin has done, right?
I found it on the beach on the high tide line.
I am a seashell collector not a treasure hunter so it caught my eye because it was not a shell. My husband was very excited because his dad love to metal detect and had found some kind of Roman Coins about twenty years ago on the same beach. But they were iron of some kind.
We live near Atlantic Beach.
Im afraid if it is gold plated then it is a souvenir copy. It is not solid gold. I will look closer when I have more time later tonite. Many souvenir copies are being found on our beaches.

Any jewelry or pawn shop could test it for you. Tell them you want to sell if the price is right and they can test it.

Later. 8)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The first thing to do is soak the coin in fresh water to remove any salts. You may use a soft toothbrush. I would not clean any further.

What does OBX mean?

I am leaning towards a souvenir copy because of the gold colored plating. It almost looks like it says COPY in red circled area? Hard to tell in pic.

Attachments

• spanish cob OBX back.jpg
    spanish cob OBX back.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 875

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
At the moment, I agree with BCH's observation and comment about the possible word COPY On an authentic cob of this type, I don't believe there is anything in that area of the coin that looks even similar to that lettering or design.

OP
OP
H

HedgemaidOBX

Sep 28, 2008
Mackaydon said:
At the moment, I agree with BCH's observation and comment about the possible word COPY On an authentic cob of this type, I don't believe there is anything in that area of the coin that looks even similar to that lettering or design.

Aww. :( That is probably true. Oh well it was fun to find anyway. I will try to clean it up and see if that is what it says.
Thank you for all your help :icon_sunny:

Shiverme

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2007
Ocala National Forest
" My husband was very excited because his dad love to metal detect and had found some kind of Roman Coins about twenty years ago on the same beach. But they were iron of some kind.
We live near Atlantic Beach."

His Dad found Roman coins on Atlantic Beach????? Atlantic Beach, FL?? Please post some pics. I have some Roman Coins but I found them in Italy.

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
welcome aboard mate. nice find

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HedgemaidOBX, welcome to TNet :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pretty sure that it is a copy. They sell them up and down the OBX. Pretty sure they have them in Kitty Hawk Kites with the pirate stuff as well as T Tops and Wings.

Check your tide tables and hit the beach cuts at low tide. Can't wait to see more finds!!

Hal

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
I have a friend who talked about finding Roman artifacts along the Eastern Florida coast. Please post some pics of the Roman coins that he found if you have any. That sounds intriguing!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions