Ocean City, MD Lead - NOT VA Beach

RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just last week some guys from my town flipped a boat in the water off the coast of Ocean City, MD. They pretty much lost all their valuables since they were in the compartent that had the lid ripped off. Luckily the beer compartment was fine so they didn't lose any of them. Anyway, wallets, cell phones, a $3,000 bracelet, and other valuables are down there somewhere. I know my brother-in-law's wallet had about $150 in cash. The boat was towed in by the Coast Guard. The fliping occurred 400-500 yards off the coast of Ocean City towards Assateague Island. If you want any more info, just let me know. The bracelet means A LOT to the guy who lost it, I'm sure there would be a nice reward for that.

Thanks

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Re: VA Beach/Bay Lead

Thats funny! We just had a group of guys sink their boat offshore here. Lost some scuba tanks, nice tank rack, wallet w cash, some diving gear, a reg with computer console and more. Its in about 100' of water.

Robert in SC

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

Robert,
One of those super magnets a possibility? Should pick up tanks and console especially if used with a ROV. Just a guess...

Jim Johnson
grizzly bare

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

Plan on using my sidescan to locate the hull itself and maybe even the scuba tanks. Shouldn't be too hard. Water depth shouldn't be a problem either.

Let you know what happens,

Robert in SC

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Divers sunken boat and gear found!

Well, we went out to look for the boat that sank 20 miles offshore here several weeks ago. It would not have been possible without my Humminbird SideScan unit. Working in 90ft of water we searched for the bridge/trestle debris they had anchored to. This was a feet in itself because there are two ships, subway cars, bridge debris and lots of other stuff they have sank out here for the Artificial Reef program. So, we dropped anchor, and bamm, landed it within 20' of where their anchor was on the bottom. Absolutely unbelievable dive! The bridge structure stood off the bottom some 30-35ft and fish were everywhere. We didn't locate anything the first trip (last week), but went back today and searched a different direction and found the scuba tanks and aluminum tank caddy on the first dive (within 10 minutes of hitting bottom).

During our surface interval we decided to do some more scanning and found a target due East of the tank rack. I was using the side scan and had some offset to calculate, but marked the spot and came back and dropped anchor where I felt the target should have been. Got geared up and headed down the anchor rope and bamm! There was the boat! Absolutely amazing to drop anchor in the middle of he ocean on the exact two spots we needed.

We managed to pull a spear gun, fishing rod, tackle, nice 6' gaff, several anchors, other stuff and of course the CASH! The boat was not salvageable. The center console came off when it hit bottom. Such a shame, there was a nice depth finder, radio and GPS, but off course they were no god after being submerged.

What a dive. I will have to post Pict's later. But just goes to show, you can make a little dough on some of these small salvage projects.

Hope everyone is doing well,

Robert in SC

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockydig,
forget about the bracelet,go to the northern end of Assateague Island on the east side.look around there on shore an in the water.years ago i used to surf there an there was ships ribs sticking up out of the sand.maybe theres still something there.check it out.

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
you gotta watch out for Assateague Island regulations. If you are close to the beach, it is considered Federal property and they will stick it to you. There is a local diver (rather famous) who found a wreck just off the coast of Assateague and they told him that it belongs to Spain and the US and he will have to give up his salvage rites to it. They told him he had to disclose the location and he told them to stuff it. There is an estimated $500 million on board, but frankly, he doesn't need it. He already has millions and millions in treasure from his adventures over the years. Must be nice huh?

S

stefen

Not the first time and certainly not the last time someone has told the Feds to stick their heads where the sun don't shine for similar issues.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
jeric2 said:
There is a local diver (rather famous) who found a wreck just off the coast of Assateague and they told him that it belongs to Spain and the US and he will have to give up his salvage rites to it. They told him he had to disclose the location and he told them to stuff it. There is an estimated $500 million on board, but frankly, he doesn't need it. He already has millions and millions in treasure from his adventures over the years. Must be nice huh?

Sounds like Ben Benson and the LaGalga from the 1750 fleet. Anyone in touch with Ben these days? What's the latest with his projects?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread