Octopus encounter .........

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Swinging in the water at about two feet over and amongst some rocks to the wet sand looking for a line of targets in and out of the water - I am right at the water's edge on the way out and feel a substantial splash of water on my back, neck etc - confused as it felt like someone flicked water on me (but noone for 100's of metres) and could not have come from sky - and I did not lift or splash with the scoop. My focus shifts to the water to see about a 3ft (head to tail) octopus swim away from my scoop back towards the submerged rocks. I drag my scoop everywhere I go - my shiny new stainless must have attracted him enough to grab a hold of it and he did not like being dragged out of the water so he squirted me! All I can say is OMG I'm glad I did not attempt to dig a target - I would have totally shat if that little 8 legs was feeling my foot. :whip2:
Seriously, life with a PI is dangerous - also recently a baby snake came out of a dry dune beach hole I dug - he was only about 8 inches long but was flaring up at my coil - freaky!

Upvote 0

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great example of why I look forward to reading your posts Smoogle.
You find some really great keepers and have some interesting tales to tell. :laughing9:
Gold Nuggets :hello:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi smoogle; Me, I would have freaked. I "hate" snakes. If one came at me you would find me in the next State in 1.2 flat. On that Octpus. Just think of the adventure you had. That is one you can btreasure for the rest of your life.!!!! Want to or not. !!! :laughing7: PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
thanks Nugs and Barker - :evil5: I should have read the MD fineprint, didn't realise I was in such a dangerous game.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool story. That's why I wear an adult diaper while detecting... :laughing9:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Terry! Dat squid woulda made some fine eatin (and or bait!)

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Snoogle; Don't worry ok. At least it wasn't a Great White. !!!! :o :o :o ;D ;D :laughing7:

PEACE:RONB

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoogle!
That's Gotta be some kinda good luck!!! Next time out I hope you find something Yellow!

SnT

OP
OP
Smoogle

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
surfnturf said:
Smoogle!
That's Gotta be some kinda good luck!!! Next time out I hope you find something Yellow!

SnT

I actually thought that too and thought I had to be onto yellow today - until I spent 3 hrs in a saltwater lake (swimming spot adjoining a major saltwater rivermouth) for two junk pendants - crowned frogs ( matching but found about 20m apart), about $4 in change, and the cheapest metallic blue junker ring you could imagine, only slightly better than a gumball machine kiddie tinnie - not worthy of a pic / post

however ...I saw huge Pods of Dolphins today - jumping and playing in the waves and the biggest Mullet I think I've ever seen jumped infront of me today in the lake - crikey maybe I should put Mullet on the hazardous PI list as well............. also I'm sure the Bream are schooling around my coil and plotting something dangerous, what next - hopefully gold!

BARKER said:
Hi Snoogle; Don't worry ok. At least it wasn't a Great White. !!!! :o :o :o ;D ;D :laughing7:

PEACE:RONB

I totally fear and respect this species - they follow old, sick and young whales up and down our coast in Winter, live for ages and thus are experienced and very smart - deadly and I hope I never get chewed........

HH to all!

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just maybe the octopus was going after your sand shark:)

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the water early morning with a snorkel MDing in the Turks & Caicos about 12 years ago when I saw a large grey object very quickly coming at me. I thought Shark immediatly but withing a second or two a dolphin appeared and came face to face with me . It must have heard the threshhold tone on my Tesoro Stingray.
We were checking each other out for about a minute or two when I turned off the detector it turned away and left.
It was the highlite of my trip,very cool !
The dolphin is a loner that lives in Grace bay and is called JoJo by the locals. IKt has several scars from boat propellers, but looked fine aaprt from that.
It was the last day of my trip and something I'll never forget. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread