tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up funky space age watch some time ago for dirt cheap at a thrift store. I just got it out last week to wear and see how well it runs. On the dial it says Kurz and that was easy enough to look up and find that was the name of a jewelry shop in Zurich Switzerland. I then researched the description "Spaceleader watch" and came up with the Fortis Spaceleader, which Fortis still markets a model with that name today. The watch has all the Fortis crown logo's on the back cover band buckle and crown, but not on this Mod orange dial. It's a well made watch, but I think it be worth more if it was all genuine Fortis? So far it's been running really well.

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_103555231.jpg
    IMG_20170729_103555231.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20170729_103736317.jpg
    IMG_20170729_103736317.jpg
    859.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice watch! Considering that Fortis Watches are 3rd only to Omega and Breitling in popularity in Germany and likely quite a few other countries in Europe and your' watch bears the name of Kurz on the dial which is a fairly high end Jewelry Store, I would imagine your' watch has some great collectible value.

Frank

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice watch! Considering that Fortis Watches are 3rd only to Omega and Breitling in popularity in Germany and likely quite a few other countries in Europe and your' watch bears the name of Kurz on the dial which is a fairly high end Jewelry Store, I would imagine your' watch has some great collectible value.

Frank
Makes sense, as the days are in German on this watch.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes sense, as the days are in German on this watch.

Actually the days are abbreviated in the German Swiss language which in many cases is similar or the same as German Deutsche language. Many watches come with the days abbreviated in both Germanic and English (i.e. such as "SAM/SAT" for Samstag/Saturday and "MIT/WED" for Mittwoch/Wednesday). I would have to look but I believe some of my' for resell Citizen and Bulova watches and a few other brand watches have the same. The actual popularity of the Fortis Watches is due to the quality and appearance for the price you pay compared to what you pay for Omega and Breitling watches.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the days are abbreviated in the German Swiss language which in many cases is similar or the same as German Deutsche language. Many watches come with the days abbreviated in both Germanic and English (i.e. such as "SAM/SAT" for Samstag/Saturday and "MIT/WED" for Mittwoch/Wednesday). I would have to look but I believe some of my' for resell Citizen and Bulova watches and a few other brand watches have the same. The actual popularity of the Fortis Watches is due to the quality and appearance for the price you pay compared to what you pay for Omega and Breitling watches.

Frank
Thanks Frank. Seems that futuristic 70s space age look was pretty short lived.

Attachments

• b9b5e69423a0b93ed27616240164c57a.jpg
    b9b5e69423a0b93ed27616240164c57a.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought this one off ebay. New old stock from a seller in Switzerland. I love the retro look, would have liked it a lot better if I'd found it cheap at a thrift store.
tressa1a.jpg

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool GH..One of my desires for my collection is adding a Hamilton Odedssy. I remember seeing one for around $90.00 with original box maybe 20 plus years ago at this pawn shop in Denver that I bought many vintage watches at back then, but at that time I thought it was a bit high. Oh well! Should a would a could a just doesn't cut it. Now they sell in the $500 and up range.

Attachments

• Odyssee-23.JPG
    Odyssee-23.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 81

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty cool GH..One of my desires for my collection is adding a Hamilton Odedssy. I remember seeing one for around $90.00 with original box maybe 20 plus years ago at this pawn shop in Denver that I bought many vintage watches at back then, but at that time I thought it was a bit high. Oh well! Should a would a could a just doesn't cut it. Now they sell in the $500 and up range.

Cool watch. I'll be adding that to my wish list

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread