Odd coin combos

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tried a new park today...nothing going on until I hit an area about 10 feet across where I found 40 nickels, every one of them clean and lying in the grass thatch layer above the soil. I suspect it's no accident that there were exactly 40, but no sign of a coin roll container (no lawn mower damage either).

Just as odd was yesterday's hit on a short stack (coins buried face to face, sure sign of somebody sitting down and a pocket spill, I think) consisting of two wheat pennies (1937 and 1952) and a 2010 dollar (Buchanan) coin. It's still possible to find wheaties in pocket change but what are the odds?

Interesting (though useless) to speculate how these combos go into the ground...

Upvote 6

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found coin stacks many times. I always wondered how they got that way perfectly stacked under the ground. I also ran into a nickle spill at a fairgounds. 168 nickles before I stopped counting. Would be nice to know the story.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found exactly 50 pennies on top of the ground in a 5 foot circle this year. Wondered the same thing, where's the coin wrapper?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread