Odd copper plate featuring Mercury dime

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi! I found this odd plate a few days ago; waited to post til my mom could photo some of the other finds. All the finds are in the last week or so from a nearby train tracks cut through a higher elevation.

The plate was originally folded and I almost pitched it, but after opening and cleaning, it shows an "impression" of the back and front of a Mercury dime, dated 1920D. The back has no writing, and the plate is very thin, less than a millimeter. So unlikely to be something used to stamp counterfeit coins. Also doubtful someone just put a dime in and then pressed it to make an impression--because the detail seems very good, plus the front and back wouldn't properly align if it was one coin.

My thought is it was a printing plate, though for what purpose not sure. Any ideas?

Also including the other finds. My mom's camera's batteries failed to recharge so the quality is less than normal. Anyway, the ring is a USA Army ring, possibly about 50-80 years old. It's marked silver and gold, and unfortunately the bezel is empty but would've held a gold seal on top of mother-of-pearl. The two necklaces (one 10k gold, the other with a Jet stone) were found wrapped around each other. The car is a Tootsietoy from the '60s. Square with a hole in the middle is a silver officer's lapel pin. Rabbit might be porcelain; and the flower is costume jewelry.

Oh! And that 1935 Buffalo, my best condition one yet; and the 1905 Barber, my first Barber, and third oldest coin ever! So yeah, pretty good week there!

Attachments

• coppermerc front.jpg
    coppermerc front.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 145
  • coppermerc back.jpg
    coppermerc back.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 107
  • otherfinds aa.jpg
    otherfinds aa.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 116
  • usa army ring.jpg
    usa army ring.jpg