NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's a new one on me. This came from a burnt house and it's got me scratching my head.... Someone took this 1936 D Buffalo, and cut it in half. Then they cut a groove all the way around the rim and tied the halves back together with wire.... I've never seen anything quite like it. They must have had one heck of a fine saw blade too!

Attachments

• 100_2191.JPG
    100_2191.JPG
    876.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_2192.JPG
    100_2192.JPG
    880.6 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 6

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool find ! I wonder why they did it.

Boredom maybe :tongue3:

or the start of a (Hobo Nickel) Lovers Token they never completed carving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff I hadn't though of a lovers token.... Maybe it was going to be one of those where each person has a half that fit together?

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this was a magic trick coin. They are still made but nowadays they cut the coin and put a strong spring between the 2 pieces.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Well, back in the day when we had to make change - we merely cut a coin in half. So, if I owed NOLA_Ken 2 1/2 cents and jeff of pa 2 1/2 cents - I would cut a nickel in half. Hmmmm, didn't buy that did ya?
killingme.gif

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, trick coin. You'd bend the coin in half along the groove so it can fit into a glass soda bottle. People then wonder how you got the coin to fit through the small opening. You'd then break the bottle to retrieve the coin. Nice find

HH
-GC

midirtdevil

Sep 21, 2008
Holland, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps it heated then was cooled rapidly from the fire in the house an that's maybe what cracked it in half. That is a very neat find!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Very interesting, & CONGRATS on finding it! :icon_thumright: Some years ago, a friend of mine used a very fine saw blade to cut the Buffalo portion from nickles, then inserted the Buffaloes in rings and bracelets that he also made. The human mind seems always to come up with new twists on anything! Have fun! Andi

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here's a new one on me. This came from a burnt house and it's got me scratching my head.... Someone took this 1936 D Buffalo, and cut it in half. Then they cut a groove all the way around the rim and tied the halves back together with wire.... I've never seen anything quite like it. They must have had one heck of a fine saw blade too!

Is it made of wood? ;)

Neat find!

HH!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, trick coin. You'd bend the coin in half along the groove so it can fit into a glass soda bottle. People then wonder how you got the coin to fit through the small opening. You'd then break the bottle to retrieve the coin. Nice find

HH
-GC

How would it work in this case? When you bend this coin, wouldn't the wire that holds the two halves together pop off?? Or was the wire glued into the groove around the coin? Thanks for any additional information. I've never seen a find like this before.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's really cool. that blade had to be super thin

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely not bendable, or at least I doubt it would flatten back out if I tried. Every time I look at it I just scratch my head and wonder why.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well isnt that interesting, i imagine the wire was added later because someone was 5 cents short, why it was cut in the first place? remains a mystery.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would it work in this case? When you bend this coin, wouldn't the wire that holds the two halves together pop off?? Or was the wire glued into the groove around the coin? Thanks for any additional information. I've never seen a find like this before.

In this case, the iron spring/wire would have rusted out and the coin wouldn't work any more, breaking in half. They still make these coins today, although they use rubber bands today

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread