Odd Day on Stevens Trail

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So today I made the hike down Steven's Trail as it has been a few months since I have been that way.. I was also looking forward to talking to the full timer of that area and make sure all was well... The hike down was nice I arrived early before the sun so I watched canyon come into the light.. Shortly before Secret Ravine I encountered him making his walk to the Library to Re up on some books we talked for a half hour or so he filled me in the news of the area.. All was well.. It was cold and snow was in patches and the river Iced in some place. The ground was moist everywhere.. The moss had ice on it.. It was pretty clear that upriver from Secret ravine was getting no sun on the river. well I continued upriver everything is so slippery and traveling the bedrock even the gravels bars were schetchy It was very disappointing. It just wasn't safe.I watched to 2 suspected prospectors walking the Iowa hill side of stevens trail in the morning . So I decided to get my butt back in the sun as I was cold.. Well upon my return to secret ravine I was literally taken back by seeing at least 20 people just on the other side of the Ravine.. They were in groups standing on or around the trail.. Their was one lone goldpanner at the Gravel bar so I figured I would chit chat with him an hope the herd disperses. Well he turned out to be a nice of man. After some talk we were both aware who eachother were though we have never met in person nor ever talked.. I being a nosey basterd when it comes to history and gold and The NF American River and a few other places anyway I have run across his youtube videos and his Blog.. Me and him have tread a lot of the same earth. He hiked with Russell Towle before he died. Me I am an admirer of Russell works.. Well anyway it was very cool to talk someone who enjoyed and been to many of the same places I have been.. Well after some time we parted. I intending to make my way thru the people and home.. The hole way up the trail people passed me about another dozen or so.. I never seen so many people on this trail in one day.. Well kinda an off day not bad just off.. Anyway when I got to my truck the parking lot was packed and as I drove out a line of cars were stacked on the road... Well it seems today I carried my prospecting tools just for the sake to carry them.. oh well how it goes some day's ...
Lo Que Vi

Check out his blog

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like when I go hunting and never fire the rifle. I call it "armed hiking".

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the link on his blog. I definitely have to follow this. Of course he quotes a section of Robert Service's poem on yesterday's post. One of my favs. I collect first editions of Service and London, so that was nice to see. Glad the old boy from Secret Ravine is still there and healthy. I've camped there a couple times and always leave him my food, etc when I leave the area. He's always been pretty nice and has shared some tips. Good to see folk like that, hard workers and fair.

When I visit I usually take the path along the river from Mineral Bar til it dies out, then climb the dog leg up to stevens trail. I really need to start up top and see the whole of it. Aren't there a couple mines up there?

OP
OP
M

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its actually quicker the way you go and not nearly as much walking up.. Their is one mine directly on the trail.. and a little ways past that one about 15 feet below the trail I know of two more.. hard to tell you exactly where but they are almost directly below a place in the trail that is hand stacked rock and the bridge will be in sight. . Be careful as it is Steep... Also when you first come into view of the river be sure to look across the river into the mountain Their are two visible Audits plus an old trail or mining ditch not sure as of yet.. Now again I am not to sure exactly on exactly where but past robbers ravine on the Iowa Hill side their is a drift mine pretty close to the river and after that going upriver a for a bit and then about 200 feet above the river you have another one.. These are some I know of that I have come across. In the next week or two I will be Helping that ole gold tramp move locations. One a little less frozen. He is a good man and a better then average prospector..

I have no doubt that their are many more mines in the Vicinity of Stevens trail..

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff,
One and the same :) My favorite author - definitely - with Martin Eden as my favorite book. Can't discount anything he wrote, as they are all just great. Also, being from Alaska, both London and Service hit home with me. How can you not like the feelings they inspire, right?

Your story? For school - or just cuz you was feeling the mood?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was all on my own....I think my first was White Fang which led to the "Call of the Wild" and then... Sea Wolf. I still remember how the cook showed his mettle...crushing a raw potato in his bare hand. Eventually, I wrote (as a kid) a story about a group of snowmobile'rs on their way to a ghost town in Idaho in the dead of winter. One by one, all succumbed to the wolves...picking them off one by one. I quess I had a little Steven King in me too!:laughing7:

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MM,
Guess I'll have to get out there again and take a look. I'll try the trail this time and stop at the mines. The one you had to climb down to looks too good not to visit. I'd like to take a few samples out of there - take em back to the house and crush em up. Would love to run that stuff over a miller table just because. Sure is nice of you to help him out with the move. Can imagine it would be quite a chore. I assume he'll be moving closer to the river where he can get some sun? Or is he going higher? Thanks for the video, as always they make me want to get up and go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread