May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Following BuffaloBoy's advice, I paid my credit union a little visit earlier this week and asked for customer-rolleds. The teller only had a few rolls on hand so she offered me a partial coinlok bag of nickels that she had been putting customer deposits in.

Almost 1500 coins later I ended up with 17 pre-'62 nicks, including a 1942-S War, plus a 1985 Canadian nick. The 1959 & one of the 1946 were at least an AU-53.

But the biggest surprise was a Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) token. SEPTA is the last public transit system serving a major U.S. city to use tokens and they have announced a plan to phase out the tokens altogether beginning later this fall. The token may only be worth the $2.50 fare now, but I'm guessing that down the road it may become a bit of a collectors item.

I've never collected tokens in the past so I'm looking for some advice here - should I hold onto the token or use it as dump material? Thanks.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coin_collection.gif
Nice finds DaytonaRacer.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not dump it, since it is not legal currency. However, I would use it if I use SEPTA, since NYC tokens have little value even after they withdrew the tokens.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt the token will be worth much in the future, so if you use Septa at all, be sure to use it!

OP
OP
DaytonaRacer

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, guys. I've never used SEPTA and am rarely in PA anyway except to visit family/friends or for acting gigs, so maybe I'll ask around at the racetrack next weekend and see if anyone else could use it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread