Odd find, looks like a coin but what is it?

SPWalker

Aug 6, 2003
Mc Allen, Texas
Detector(s) used
CZ-7A FISHER
I have a friend that picked up a coin looking item along the Rio Grande River about 100 miles from the Gulf Coast. Looks very old. He tells me that - Seems to be stamped on lead, no inscription on the back.....about the size of a silver dollar, thin. The back is rather plain, It has the “serration” pattern around the edge and a single ridge vertical down the middle, the back was up when I saw it and I thought it was a strange shaped leaf. I had no real reason to pick it up, but something said so......
Any idea what it could be? I am thinking Spanish colonial in origin.
Thank you for looking.
SW

Attachments

• DB 1a 2011.jpg
    DB 1a 2011.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DB 2a 2011.jpg
    DB 2a 2011.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have pieces of 8 made of lead and somehow goldplated, I think it was an old way to counterfeit and buy rum.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't ID it but it sure looks like a lead seal that would be attached to a document by a string and blob of wax. Like a Papal Seal. I have done a search for SS & EC and nothing came up. Treat it gently, you may have something very rare there when the identity is made.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently reading a book titled Mt. Lookout - "where you can see for two days" by Ruth Marie Coleville 1995. The book is about the Rio Grande, San Luis Valley and a town named Del Norte. Below is from the book.

"Now let's leave the mythic past and see how chance brought the first Europeans to meet the Great River. In the year 1519, only 27 years after Columbus discovered the new world (new to Europeans) four small Spanish ships were following a great unkown curve of land. It was the southern shore of North America, embracing what we call the Gulf of Mexico.
The ships had set out from Jamaica for Mexico, had been run out of the harbor by newly founded Vera Cruz by a fellow-countryman, Hernando Cortez, who wanted no competition. The little flotilla, now sailing an unknown coastline, came upon a place on the shell-white shore where a large river entered the sea. To the astounded Indians living there, the ships were four houses on the water, trees with wings growing on them.
Captian Alonzo Alvarez de Pineda, commander of the little fleet, approched the shore in a small boat, grounded, and stepped in the surf. With ceremony he slashed the blade of his sword into the waves, proclaiming, as was the custom of Europeans during the free-for-all centuries, that these waters, this land, and all in the province was possessions of His Most Catholic Majesty, the King of Spain.
The explorers stayed about 40 days, scraping barnacles and repairing the ships. The air was balmy, the Indians friendly. They traded with the Indians and explored eighteen miles up the river whose course was marked by palm trees, and then departed for Jamaica. They were the first Europeans to see the Rio Grande. They named the river of their pleasant experience, Rio de las Palmas, Palm River".

Would be cool if your coin was that old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread