May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a pretty decent hunt today with the wife out in the mountains. To tell the truth, actually better than in a while, lol. It started out like usual pulling the stray shotgun shell and bent square nail out of large concentrations of bad iron filled ground, cause of course I know all that good stuff I want HAS to be getting masked by all that iron. Diggers intuition or something I guess, seems the best targets have to be the hardest to locate, lol. So after a good while of going slow and steady through the growl of numerous nails hoping for that modest middle tone, or even taking a chance on that Heaven sent high tone that miraculously changes back to iron as soon as the clump is flipped, I decided to make my way to another section I'd looked down on cause such nice level rock free field surely couldn't be hiding anything worthwhile, after all the last time I'd wandered over there I hadn't even got many iron signals.

I kinda went about the section half heartedly (Did I mention little in the way of iron signs?) expecting little till I got a nice shallow hit a little under penny. "Uhrm, probabley a bullet casing that shallow," I thought, "but at least its something in this silence." As soon as I flipped it out popped the nice green of an indian putting a smile on my face an a new outlook on this part of the field. As soon as I got back up and took a step away, Bang!, same signal giving indian #2. Yup! Definitely getting serious now. Wellll, to make a long story short pulled 3 Indians, 1 V nickel, 2 Buffalo nickels, and 2 Wheaties in almost a straight line in a 15 foot stretch. Thinking there might have been a fence there where clothes were dried at a long time back or something, either that or that was a path to an outhouse, lol. Finding those already made my day, little did I know the fun stuff was coming up next.

After running dry on the coin trail I figured to keep working that area bit wider and got another decent signal. Popped it and Bang! this rolled out. eagle head ring.JPG "#@@#$$!!" I thought to myself, "Why haven't I did this area sooner!" Can't see it in the pics, but has a hallmark of either an eagle or griffins head looking left with an arrow on either side pointing at it. Any info using that to date it is appreciated. Oh and I forgot to say all this time the wife has found nothing. Getting a bit irritated with me at this time too.

After walking the ring back to the car for safekeeping I kept swinging on the way back and got an iffy hit mixed in with some iron. My favorite kind of course. Took a bit to pinpoint it good and still ended up digging a bit wider than I really like when I pulled up what seemed to be a thick washer. " Hehe," I thought, " figures it'd be something silly after taking all that time to get it. Oh well, maybe it'll have some writing on it or a pat. date at least." Imagine my surprise when I got home to do a little cleaning when the words united states started to pop out trickshot Lc.JPG Disbelief! The second LC I'd found in that field this year. The front seems to be totally toasted so far, but it seems to me that it was actually shot by a small pistol ball through laurels where the One Cent was. All I can say is who ever did that musta been really good at that time with what they had.

Worked about the bottom of the field for awhile longer with my wife and I finding not much more of note, so we started back towards the car slowly when I got another decent hit in the middle of some sticker bushes, but Hey todays been good so far, lets push it. flipped it and ahrr pocket watch inside piece... Double checked it and found the signal had moved over a bit. Rechecked and Bang! Roosevelt fob.JPG Sweet! Seems to be a Presidential watch fob! First one of those I'd ever found with names on it. Oh ya, Wifes getting really aggrivated with me now too. Starting to threaten me with bad things happening in fact.

So needless to say I felt happier than a cat in the cream on the way back to the car with all these neat finds when I got the last signal of the day mini arrow.JPG mini arrow 2.JPG Hehe, yup seems to me to be a Williams cleaner miniball that was flattened into an arrowhead shape. Not sure whether to believe him or not, but a friend I told about it to says he'd heard of them before. Called it a woodpecker arrow. Said they used to alter them like that to make arrows to shoot birds with. Anyone else hear of this? Or am I getting my leg pulled. Ah well, whatever it is still makes me happy. ...Wifes not happy with me though...seems I'm a bit too happy with myself right now..At least that what she keeps telling me as I remind her of my finds. Its a shame though, I was hoping to at least find a nice flatbutton today... No go on that, lol. :laughing7:

Upvote 1

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds!! really interesting LC. i wonder if someone used that as a target?
HH

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Wow, awesome finds! Boy, I can see why your wife woulda been gettin' pissy with ya lol! A fun read. Thanks for sharing!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds.HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread