Odd graves from 1863 with urban legend included

SeeImRed

Jan 10, 2011
I have spent several years off and on again researching the history surrounding some burials in my home town's largest cemetery. I have developed a decent picture of the land owner of the time and the 4 burials he put in his then family cemetery that don't fit in any way. The more I research, the more questions I have. Now, I have to wonder if these graves may be more than they appear to be. It's a long shot and probably nothing, but I'm stuck in my research and I'd like opinions from any KGC knowledgable people. So before I bore you with the details, can anyone tell me if KGC would have been operating in the NE TX "Piney Woods" area?

The headstones are extra large iron ore field stones crudely carved with a cross on each stone, the man's name and the year of death (assumed). Also they are facing the wrong direction with feet to the West. I have linked one to a CSA field surgeon out of AR. Everything contradicts the family legend about them as "Northern Catholic solders" who wandered into town and died.

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
SeeImRed said:
I So before I bore you with the details, can anyone tell me if KGC would have been operating in the NE TX "Piney Woods" area?

Yes, absolutely. Lots of KGC activity in that area. Keep working at it. Probably not as unlikely as you might think.
Good luck,
Hoss

OP
OP
S

SeeImRed

Jan 10, 2011
Really? So my thoughts might not be so far fetched afterall? I am not a treasure hunter I just see lots of similarities in those graves that I can't explain otherwise. The story is one supposedly told by the farmer/land owner who buried them. He passed it to his Grand Daughter who lived until 102 yrs. My family owned the local monument business and my father was facinated with the story. But when I saw where they are buried in proximity to the farmer, it's impossible for me to believe they were Union as assumed. If you buried the enemy in your cemetery, would you want to be buried right next to them? Then there's the matter of positioning. They are clearly backwards. Also, 3 are dated 1863 and one is 1865 which doesn't fit the story either. The cemetery is the highest point in town and he left it to the Masonic Lodge to maintain but I can't find record of him being a Mason. Lots of questions, very little answers.

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this.
Get a Map of area. Lay "Mason Compass Template" over map using Cemetery as Center and align with N & S&E&W.
Follow lines out from Cemetery and see if more signs are around that cemetery.

Attachments

• Master Compass.jpg
    Master Compass.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 943
OP
OP
S

SeeImRed

Jan 10, 2011
Okie, I would agree with that thought ,however, in my research, I do not find any matching names in Union records. I do find 2 matches in Confederate SA records and both were in the same regiment out of ARK. One name stands out on the stone as DOCT J.S. Deane of which I find a James S. Deane, Acting Surgeon with the Mitchell/Power's 14th. Deane's compiled military record ends in 1863 at Vicksburg capture & parole, which is the same year on the stone.

DOCT J.S. DEANE 1863:
Doct_JS_Deane_1863.jpg

J DICKSON 1865:
J_Dickson_1865.jpg

All 4 stones Wide shot. The other names are SN BELL 1863 and AH BELL 1863:
wide shot.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread