✅ SOLVED Odd pencil shaped, tubular rocks - what are these?

executrice

Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these rocks on the coast of Nova Scotia, canada (Lunenburg, blue rocks n.s). Oddly, I found one about 17 years ago and found two more two years ago in the exact same area. At first I thought they might be slate (pencils) since there is a lot of slate in that area, but it doesn't write as well as slate. They are perfectly shaped, and I have no clue what these are.

They are very light and appear to be a rock of some kind. They where found amongst other rocks. Wanting to know what sort of stone and why they are shaped like this.

I was once told to take these to a historian since there were a lot of ship wrecks in the Atlantic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello executrice,

Welcome to the TNet, and thanks for showing us these finds. I used to find them frequently, and wondered, and thought "petrified lumber crayons."
Nope. I came to believe that they are carbon anodes for old batteries. They come in a variety of sizes.

robert-bunsen-inventions-dry-cell-zinc-carbon-battery_34001_600x450.jpg Zincbattery.jpg 5559038936_eb5797812d_z.jpg inside-dry-cell-apr-1959-pe-2.jpg

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to me surf nailed it. That was my first thought.

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
That longest one seems too long and skinny for battery rod.
They may be carbon arc rods for cutting steel.
They are often used for underwater cutting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
"...The trademark "Columbia" was proposed by Nelson C. Cotabish, a sales manager at NCC. In 1896 the company marketed the very first battery intended for widespread consumer use: the sealed, six-inch, 1.5 volt Columbia. NCC was the first company to successfully manufacture and distribute sealed dry cell batteries on a large scale…"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

executrice

Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, thanks all! now to figure out the age of these thing why why they where found washed up at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean. Might welding rods look like these for ship building?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

executrice

Nov 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Graphite / Carbon Welding electrodes. probably dumped over board from steel vessels.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread