Odd-shaped rejects

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here's a couple egg-shaped marbles I got from a scuba diver yesterday-- he had found these in the Ohio river behind an old marble factory in Michigan, probably thrown out as rejects. Any idea which factory that might be? They are beautiful marbles, the pale blue is clear glass w/ opaque white, the other is honey-butter amber opaque.

Attachments

• egg shaped rejects.JPG
    egg shaped rejects.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,510

Marbleguy

Nov 2, 2008
I don't know the maker..

..but they look like they went into the marble-forming machinery while they were too pliable,too molten.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
they look like jabo....i never knew a factory in michigan....most are in wva and one in ottawa,ill....one in st louis....some in ohio...jabo were made in ohio near the ohio river...marble king was made in paden city wva...near the ohio river...but to my trained eye those look like jabo of recent manufacture..eggs are rejects that hit the rollers and hook up with another marble...some times double ingots [2 marbles fused together] occur sometimes one of the marbles spin up the roller and eggs or footballs occur...sometimes they can be quite spetacular...and are collectible...but they come from the factory dumps .....the companies didnt market them....

OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks Duffytrash--

Wow, who knew? I never thought about rejects before. These don't look like they touched anything. They are out of round by there is no hint of contact with anything else-- the glass is clean and smooth on all surfaces, excepting the occasional tiny bubble or crease, as in round marbles.

Not to discredit your trained eye, and maybe I didn't remember what the fellow told me about where he found them, but he claimed someone told him about the marble factory and it had been out of business a long time (supposedly). I thought Jabo is more recent. Are they still in business?

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
jabo has been closed for the summer....expected to reopen...theyre makin industrial ...but since 08 has been makin marbles for investment groups...theyve been at this location since the late 90s....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread