Odd Silver Find

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting today near an old house from the 1870's - 1930's. It was owned by a aristocratic family who pioneered in southwest Florida citrus groves. The family lived there for over 150 years. I have found quite a bit of scrap metal and cans, but there have also been a few gems. I found one large artillery shell which is solid metal and very heavy. It appears to have cuts and dings from a lawn mower. It says 'DM 43' on the bottom. I have done a little research and I think it is early WWII. I also found another shell that says 'W.R.A CO No* 10 RIVAL'. Apparently it is a Winchester Repeated Arms shell from 1886-1920's. Best of all, I found an ornate silver object with engraved initials. It almost looks like a pair of silver tweezers. It has the initials 'M.W.T' which makes sense because the last name of family who owned the house starts with a 'T'. The engraved initials are very faded, so I am sure they won't show in the photo. All were found 4 - 6" down. I am not sure exactly what it is, but it looks pretty neat. It was a good day, and I will certainly be back.

image-3391542286.jpg

image-2642870048.jpg

image-1231831502.jpg

image-2662997334.jpg

Upvote 1

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow:Good luck next hunt.

OP
OP
Age_old

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you mention it, it does look like a knife handle. Wonder how old it is. Thanks Willy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread