Ode to one of the Unsung Heros of the Jupiter Shipwreck Saga

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Captain Robby Smith passed away this past week.
To some he was known as Captain Nasty.... but the name
meant little of his persona....

I am sending this out as I get addresses.&n=sp; Robby died on Tuesday of Lou Gerigs disease. I am forwarding on=your address so you will be notified when and where they are having a par=y for him in St. Augustine...

Sent: Thu, February 18, 2010 6:44:14 PM
Subject: Fw: Call to all captains of the seven seas

Rob was Jolie's "Dad" from the time she was 13...all through high sch=ol and her early years in college. She went to college in Gainesvil=e and Rob would go and spend weekends to help her study for exams....he=introduced her to boating and flying....her words.....

Sent: Thu, February 18, 2010 6:26:29 PM
Subject: Call to all captains of the seven seas

Yar Mates - the King of Captains has gone and will spend his remainin= days at sea. Aye, Robby Smith - a.k.a Captain Nasty is a=great Captn' - this man was nigh afraid of Cracken or your ladies under=skirts, can crack an oyster with his bare hand. He creates theatre w=th his face and can pierce your soul with his eyes. His enthusiasm=and self confidence is contagious and his charismatic charm makes hi= irresistible - though often at the same time repellent. He&nbs=;lives in greatness - he shows others how to live in their greatness=..he explores, learns, travels, inspires....and shares all he=has. In truth he cannot be described, so one can only say...he is not jus= a man, but a modern day legend and we are better for having known him -=and now, Captain Nasty sails into the sunset...

Robby was on-site project manager of Jupiter Wreck in the early 90's.

His work lead us to the deep holes along the scatter pattern.
Another little known fact about Robby was he played the significant and pivotal role
in David Crosby - from Crosbey Stills and Nash fame in still having a life....

Helping to dry Crosby out when drugs rules David's life...
Robby was then Captain of the Mayan, David's Schooner....
Part of the reason Robby picked up the name, Captain Nasty
was the Mayan back then was a little rough around the edges;;;

The money to provide her upkeep was going into David's arm....
Robby brought David to the Federal Authorities after cleaning him up at my marina
in the 80's while the Mayan was anchored just off shore...
The music world owes you a voice of thanks....

Robby, your music was every bit as good as his....

Robby became an avid hang glider and forever now will be flying high...

Our world is a little less colorful with your passing...

Capt Dom

Attachments

• pict0088.jpg
    pict0088.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 441
  • pict0036.jpg
    pict0036.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 477

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dom: I am sorry to hear about the passing of Capt. Robby Smith.

I know he was an important part of the Jupiter wreck story. It sounds like he was quite the colorful character too.

I am not one to pass up a good pirate party or wake for that matter. Coincidentally, Monica & I will be in St. Augustine for 3 days at the end of this month, & hopefully meeting with Jim Sinclair, so please let me know the date.

Tom

ps. who had the mustache first, Robby or David Crosby?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread