Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170322_112840.jpg
These looked off to me. Just wondering what you guys thought. The obverse looks about the same maybe a little less noticeable. Anyway thanks for the input.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That generally happens I've found due to sweaty hands. Fake toning caused by sweat, I kid you not!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Takes eeeeww to a whole new level......makes me want to go wash my hands! :BangHead:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The environment that coins are stored in can cause them to tone (too hot, smoker's home, paper bag which degrades or a location with airborne contaminants). Also, if the coin was accidentally introduced to some type of liquid contaminant, it might make them tone as does Dish Washing liquid to some coins, especially Copper coins. While some State Quarters were struck on Experimental Planchets, the Kentucky State Quarters you have, are just toned due to where they have been for the last 16 years.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
rebbel31

rebbel31

Aug 1, 2014
Bavaria, Germany
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Xp deus, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The environment that coins are stored in can cause them to tone (too hot, smoker's home, paper bag which degrades or a location with airborne contaminants). Also, if the coin was accidentally introduced to some type liquid contaminant, it might make them tone as does Dish Washing liquid to some coins, especially Copper coins. While some State Quarters were struck on Experimental Planchets, the Kentucky State Quarters you have, are just toned due to where they have been for the last 16 years.

Frank

OK interesting. I've been collecting the states since they came out. I only keep the clean ones. I don't remember that far back if they were this color. None of my other staties have taken on this color. Thanks for all the input and I'll keep flipping and hunting, bound to find something one day.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another possibility is that if you clean clad metal detector found coins in a tumbler and have a copper cent or two mixed in with them, the clad will turn a coppery color.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the mint experiment with different methods? I've found some years in circ where there are certain years with consistent discoloration.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apparently the annealing process can cause toning of some issues. heard the "black beauty" '64 nickel was one----they were plentiful a few years ago--- now I can't find one :BangHead:. check with Huntsman & Enamel

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Other than the causes which have been already stated, the Mints experimented with different compositions of Washes for washing the Planchets to protect them from environmental damage. However, it was found that some of the Washes were worse on the Planchets and made them tone faster or did little to nothing in protecting them from environmentals.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
apparently the annealing process can cause toning of some issues. heard the "black beauty" '64 nickel was one----they were plentiful a few years ago--- now I can't find one :BangHead:. check with Huntsman & Enamel

Good luck on finding a Black Beauty! It would not surprise me that I may have had one or two over the many years I have searched and collected coins but I apparently overlooked them.???:icon_scratch::dontknow::crybaby2::sad5::sad1:

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions