Off topic: How do you store youre finds?

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Off topic: How do you store you're finds?

Seems between copper pennies, proofs, errors, silver, collectibles, etc that this get bulky fast. I was thinking about burying some silver, nickels, and copper for a rainy day in water tight 1 gallon buckets (free instead of ammo cans). How do you guys store your goodies?

Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolled in my SDB. I do have Dansco's for many coins, as well.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolled in my SDB. I do have Dansco's for many coins, as well.

On that subject about Danscos where do you get the cheap penny folders I remember as a kid? Were these mint issued or something aftermarket?

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that subject about Danscos where do you get the cheap penny folders I remember as a kid? Were these mint issued or something aftermarket?
Aftermarket. Most coin shops sell them. Sometimes you can find them in bookstores. They are not good for your coins. Go with Dansco.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aftermarket. Most coin shops sell them. Sometimes you can find them in bookstores. They are not good for your coins. Go with Dansco.
Us and Them is one of my favorite PF songs. :)

Agreed, the Whitman folders can screw your coins up thanks to the glue they use. You want something of archival quality, like a Dansco or Intercept album. I bought all my dansco's, brand new, off a vest dealer that picked them up with a collection. I paid about $8 each and got 9 of them. Still a few more that I'll have to pick up at retail prices. :(

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sheepdog_tx said:
Seems between copper pennies, proofs, errors, silver, collectibles, etc that this get bulky fast. I was thinking about burying some silver, nickels, and copper for a rainy day in water tight 1 gallon buckets (free instead of ammo cans). How do you guys store your goodies?

Square tubes (labeled) for junk silver and common wheats, Whitman snap lock 2x2 for nicer silver and my ASE'S and silver rounds, paper rolls and $25 cent boxes for copper cents, and Whitman (may upgrade to Dansco) albums for all of my found in the wild series' of coins. It certainly takes up space but it's well worth it. I have a large safe box that holds anything of value though...gotta keep things safe!!!

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin Town said:
Square tubes (labeled) for junk silver and common wheats, Whitman snap lock 2x2 for nicer silver and my ASE'S and silver rounds, paper rolls and $25 cent boxes for copper cents, and Whitman (may upgrade to Dansco) albums for all of my found in the wild series' of coins. It certainly takes up space but it's well worth it. I have a large safe box that holds anything of value though...gotta keep things safe!!!

Also, almost forgot! I have an excel spreadsheet to track ALL of my finds! It tells me QTY, total number of coins, total face value, total Troy oz, total lbs (for copper), total value of everything, etc etc etc. I'd be lost without it!

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, almost forgot! I have an excel spreadsheet to track ALL of my finds! It tells me QTY, total number of coins, total face value, total Troy oz, total lbs (for copper), total value of everything, etc etc etc. I'd be lost without it!

I think a lot of us are number geeks that track that stuff... my whole collection of silver is graded by me and stored in a spreadsheet. I haven't done wheat/modern cents or jefferson nickels (excluding war's) except stuff I purchased.

Side note, I hope your safe is bolted down to your foundation... otherwise, it's a really convenient, if not heavy, way for me to just carry your crap out at one time.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried keeping a spreadsheet. It was too difficult to keep up with all of my PMs. Now I just pile it all in the corner and put a "Do Not Touch" sign on it. That should keep it safe.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic tubes. I started out putting them in the cardboard 2x2's, but that took up too much space. Even just the modest amount of coins I've found so far.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Im thinking a little more low cost options. I got a mix of silver rounds, 1oz bars, 10 oz bars, gold 1/10ths, gold 1/4s, mixed silver coinage, copper bars, etc not even counting the bucket-o-copper pennies.

Resisting the urge to make a pirate treasure trunk.. thinking trusty PVC pipe with good fittings in the yard to "hide me loot argh!"

clarknau

Jul 25, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah Im thinking a little more low cost options. I got a mix of silver rounds, 1oz bars, 10 oz bars, gold 1/10ths, gold 1/4s, mixed silver coinage, copper bars, etc not even counting the bucket-o-copper pennies.

Resisting the urge to make a pirate treasure trunk.. thinking trusty PVC pipe with good fittings in the yard to "hide me loot argh!"

I wouldn't use PVC! PVC Damage on Coins - What is PVC Damage

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Store them in 2x2s. Copper is rolled in CWR flat rolls I save. All of it is stored in my custom safe. Gutted a 1970's pepsi machine where the compressor blew, pulled all the insulation out and refinforced it with 4 bars of 1 1/2 inch steel and the door is refinforced too. Now you have three locks to go through. The original Pepsi door lock, the inside door where I added a lock, and from inside there is another lock of 1/2 thick sheet metal on hinges. Then after that theres shelves and inside a tool box is my most valuable coins, which is also locked up(;

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
MrSchulz said:
Store them in 2x2s. Copper is rolled in CWR flat rolls I save. All of it is stored in my custom safe. Gutted a 1970's pepsi machine where the compressor blew, pulled all the insulation out and refinforced it with 4 bars of 1 1/2 inch steel and the door is refinforced too. Now you have three locks to go through. The original Pepsi door lock, the inside door where I added a lock, and from inside there is another lock of 1/2 thick sheet metal on hinges. Then after that theres shelves and inside a tool box is my most valuable coins, which is also locked up(;

You gotta post pictures of this beauty!!! This is the second time I have seen you mention it!!!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep my halves in free Walgreens pill bottles, they hold 40 halves in each 1. You have to check the bottom for the recycle number to make sure they won't hurt the coins though. Maverick.

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
maverick said:
I keep my halves in free Walgreens pill bottles, they hold 40 halves in each 1. You have to check the bottom for the recycle number to make sure they won't hurt the coins though. Maverick.

Great idea maverick! What number should be on the bottom to ensure its safe?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Plastic-Recycle-Number-Chart.jpg

Avoid #3

Plastic | Recycle Chart | | One More Generation

Top Member Reactions