Off topic "Kayaker" update.

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
About a year ago I posted some photos of a variety prehistoric skulls, including a Bison latifrons, that Kayaker found while searching nearby river banks. A couple of days ago he came back with another latifrons, plus a Bison anitquus and another very old "What is it?".

I know this is off topic but I thought some may like to see some of this stuff also. None of these pieces had been cleaned when I took the photos. The horn core spread on the latifrons is about 39" and on the antiquus about 27".

I have no idea how to get the photos in the same order I uploaded them in, but you should be able to match the different views.

Attachments

• 060512 Anci39.jpg
    060512 Anci39.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 060512 l1a 27.jpg
    060512 l1a 27.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 80
  • 060512 l1b.jpg
    060512 l1b.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 060512 w1 Top.jpg
    060512 w1 Top.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 060512 w1side.jpg
    060512 w1side.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 060512 wbottom.jpg
    060512 wbottom.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome finds. Photo #1, #4, and #5, what did you say they were? They don't look like buffalo, are they camel or elk? The skull looks weird, with the enlongated nose and dip in the frontal brow area. has some similarity to dire wolf (no canine teeth)?

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wanted to find a Bison Antiquitus skull. And still looking.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
old digger said:
Those are awesome finds. Photo #1, #4, and #5, what did you say they were? They don't look like buffalo, are they camel or elk? The skull looks weird, with the enlongated nose and dip in the frontal brow area. has some similarity to dire wolf (no canine teeth)?

Thanks, Kayaker really has a good eye for spotting this kind of stuff.

We don't know what it is. It looks like it would have had canines. There are holes in the jaw line where they would been. We thought maybe dire wolf also, but the examples of dire wolf skulls we've seen are different. I'm pretty sure it isn't elk and I don't think camel had canines.

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Kayaker really has a good eye for spotting this kind of stuff.

We don't know what it is. It looks like it would have had canines. There are holes in the jaw line where they would been. We thought maybe dire wolf also, but the examples of dire wolf skulls we've seen are different. I'm pretty sure it isn't elk and I don't think camel had canines.
Looks like a wild boar or hog skull to me.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a wild boar or hog skull to me.
but I
Thanks, that's kinda what Kayaker's thinking too. We haven't seen any examples, other then the wild boar, that have these characteristics. (This piece is very old, almost petrified).

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome finds.:thumbsup:

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
About a year ago I posted some photos of a variety prehistoric skulls, including a Bison latifrons, that Kayaker found while searching nearby river banks. A couple of days ago he came back with another latifrons, plus a Bison anitquus and another very old "What is it?".

I know this is off topic but I thought some may like to see some of this stuff also. None of these pieces had been cleaned when I took the photos. The horn core spread on the latifrons is about 39" and on the antiquus about 27".

I have no idea how to get the photos in the same order I uploaded them in, but you should be able to match the different views.

Nice finds by Kayaker.

Bison Latifrons had a horn-core spread of 7 to 8 feet. The Kayaker's example is an extinct species but not Latifrons.
I would call the smaller bison skull a very nice Bison Bison, not a Bison Antiquus.

11KBP

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning towards some sort of horse/baby horse??I'm no expert haha just a guess

the_donkey_skull_by_papertiger3-d4g45cw.jpg

f11t.jpg

Johnathan Griswold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread