Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
?? I think its fair. But hav'nt tryed to sell any.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I would trade up for another type of silver. You are loosing $47 in the process if you sell.

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$4.195 on Provident right now. Extra ~$20 but youll have to pay shipping. Provident is about the highest Ive seen so yes thats a good deal.

Why sell now instead of waiting for spot to go up?

OP
OP
crhstreetwalker

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why sell now instead of waiting for spot to go up?
I don't know really. I just want to get rid of them, I don't know why I don't like them. Spot would have to go up a very considerable amount to make it worth an extra $100, which is probably not going to happen anytime soon. I might buy some gold or more 90% silver with it, or just chill on the cash so I can order an extra box of halves every week.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Nucleo is my barometer all the time.

they are at $86.01 for $10 right now. So you could sell 100 for $430.05. take about $20 for shipping in a fixed rate box with insurance, and you net $410.

If you can get $400 without waiting, without shipping, and without hassle, I'd do the deal. I think you are getting a fair price. :-)

OP
OP
crhstreetwalker

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The only 40% half I'd like to actually keep is my 1970 S I found in a CWR last year. It was in my only ever solid roll of silver, a full roll of 40% coins.

OP
OP
crhstreetwalker

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Apparently there was a miscommunication. They "sell" them for $4.00 each, and buy them for way less. I ended up selling all 100 for $360.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
The best price i could get at a good coin show is about the same tho at a coin show i could usually squeeze a little more with the dealer if i buy from him.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHR I gotta ask, how old are you??

Something to think about, silver is + - 30.00 at the moment its LOW consider buying not selling right now. Im thinking between feb and march it was around 36-37 an oz. There are a few major banks portfolio's that are overinvested in the paper silver so the market must go down so they can get out of the paper without losing the bank in the process. which will further drive silver down until they buy back in for the next manipulation.

Holding silver / precious metals is more valueable imo than holding fiat currency. They give you negotiating power in trades or finantial transactions. Holding silver in coin form is also good because it is common knowledge the weight and content of silver when it comes to trading / bartering.

When I sell what silver im holding it will be for a final transaction and defiantely not to put a few dollars in my pocket.

But hey its only my 2 cents and not my silver, do what ya want with it as long as you are happy.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A roll of 40%ers goes for $90 on ebay right now. Say you pay 10% in fees that's $81 per roll. Times five rolls $405. Of course it's extra effort, but you can also build up your reputation on ebay. I think it's worth it for the extra forty bucks.

Sounds to me like that was a classic bait and switch, they probably did tell you they buy 'em for $4 apiece, and then when you came back with the halves their story changes and they get you to believe you were mistaken. I never trust anybody at pawn shops or gold and silver shops, I've been had in the past. Overall though, I'd say you still did pretty good

OP
OP
crhstreetwalker

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
CHR I gotta ask, how old are you??

Something to think about, silver is + - 30.00 at the moment its LOW consider buying not selling right now.
I am 20 years old. The only reason I wanted to get rid of them is because I didn't like that particular batch of 100. Some of them were melted, gnarled, etc. It's just how I found them. It's probably on OCD thing, idk though. I am happy with the transaction. I know 40% halves usually sell for under spot just because they are 40%, but I definitely won't let anymore go for that inexpensive of a price.

Sounds to me like that was a classic bait and switch, they probably did tell you they buy 'em for $4 apiece, and then when you came back with the halves their story changes and they get you to believe you were mistaken. I never trust anybody at pawn shops or gold and silver shops, I've been had in the past. Overall though, I'd say you still did pretty good
There is one guy who owns the place and his three or four dumb as rocks, knows nothing about gold and silver, reading out of the book employees. I think it was an honest miscommunication as I talked to one of them on the phone and not him. I've been to his store before with a friend, I've actually bought some 90% from him in the past for spot. The only reason I know of him was because he was in line next to me at the bank a year or so ago when I was picking up some boxes of dimes. He asked if I was CRHing for silver, and explained that he owned the store in the mall. When I went in to sell these 40% halves yesterday he offered to sell me an NGC graded AU58 1911 $2.50 gold eagle for $300, they are going for $350-$375 on ebay right now. I might take him up on that offer.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that reminds me of a card shop I used to go to when I was younger. The 25cent bin was full of cards easily worth 20 bucks and more. In particular it was one employee who didn't have a clue and he was responsible for all the leaks. I say take the good deal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread