Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Official Uvalde Hunt Notices

http://www.nealslodges.com/

Neal's Lodges
P.O. Box 3
Concan, Texas 78838

For cabin reservations
call (830) 232-6118 Make sure you speak with Mary Anna & specify The Uvalde Hunt
between 8am-5pm (Metal Detecting Group)
Monday - Friday

Neal's Lodges on the Frio River, 23 mi from Uvalde. They have agreed to rent all the cabins we need at $66.50 (does not include tax) for two people to a cabin. Told them we may need 12-14 cabins. Tents, $20. Restaurant open only on wknds. Said we would probably be the only ones there in Oct. Fully stocked store. They will provide us with the linens/towels. Quote from WSD

To view the cabins click on the website, then "Cabins & RV", under "Step 1-Pick a Cabin", click "Cabin List", then to see a slide show of the cabin(s) Click on a #. Posted Jun 26, 2010, RR

ALL cabins are the same price,$66.50 if only two people to a cabin. If more than two people, they are the season rate minus 30%. Posted Jun 26, 2010, WSD

If you go to 'reservations' on Neal's site, you'll see a paragraph stating you to fill out a 'Waiver/Release' form and send it in ahead of your arrival to speed up your check in. Click on the 'Waiver/Release' and it will bring up the form they want. I don't think it's mandatory but it would help you and them if it's already filled out ahead of time. Posted Jun 27, 2010, WSD

Talked to Neal's (Mary Anna) today. She was holding ten cabins for me and I had her increase that to twelve. So she is holding the twelve. No reservations have been made yet and they are not required yet. But if we will need more than twelve, I need to let her know asap. Please post if you are thinking cabin or not. Thanks. Posted Jun 30, 2010, WSD

Even if the dates are 16-23 Oct...you do not have to be here for those entire days. Come in when you want...leave when you want. But, remember the cabins will have to be a 3 day minimum...not sure if tents/RV require a minimum or not.

I do understand that we will hunt 1 site for a few days and the other site a few days. This is just a hunt, there will be no drawings, door prizes.

http://www.nealslodges.com/rivercam.htm

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TEXAS HUNT
img3.jpg
Oct 16-23, 2010
Uvalde, TX

“Don’t Forget To Bring List”

Metal Detector(s)
Extra coils
Headphones
Pin Pointer
Shovel
Trowels/Digging Tools
Gloves
Knee Pads
Bug Spray
Sun Screen
Extra Batteries
Battery Charger
Detector Charger
Finds Pouch
Back Pack
Magnifying Glass
Binoculars
Towel(s)
Wet Wipes
Hat/Cap
Rain Gear
Waders/Rubber Boots
Chaps/Snake bite prevention
Warm/Cool Clothes
Camera
Zip Lock Bags (for finds)
Camp Chair(s)
Camping Gear (for those who are camping out)
Flash Light/LED Head Lamp - night digging
Display(s) of finds for “Show & Tell”
Music instruments – for those who plan to play
ice chest
food if you're cooking
water and camelbacs
GPS and maps
Alarm clock
Neal's Waiver

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The restaurant will be opened the weekend...Friday (Supper); Saturday (Breakfast, Lunch, Supper), Sunday (Breakfast, Lunch) http://www.nealslodges.com/dining.htm click on the menu. The store is well stocked with supplies. Neal's Store has all your basic needs from steaks to toiletries and river gear to motor oil. Neal's Gift Shop has a wide selection of T-shirts, river shoes, jewelry, bird feeders and other gifts.

Per message from Warsawdaddy...Our first meeting on Friday evening I think should be about 7pm at Neal's meeting room. Maryanna said someone else is using it during the day but we could have it Friday evening at no cost.

For those who will be arriving on different days, I assure you will be able to find us @ the different hunt sites. Directions to these hunt site(s) will be posted either on WSD's/River Rat's cabin door or at the store. :sign13:

http://www.nealslodges.com/cabins.htm Print out the waiver & bring with you. Make sure you read the Neal's Information Pak!

http://www.nealslodges.com/maps.htm Coming from San Antonio Hwy 90 to Sabinal right on Hwy 127 straight to Neal's.

Wireless Internet- available in store with your personal laptop

map.jpg

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Posted Aug 17, 2010, 11:00:07 AM by WSD

Just a note. Doug(six Pack)and his wife Sharon who are a members of our prospecting chapter and who is attending the Uvalde hunt,will buy any gold(rings,teeth,etc)and he will pay 90% of spot for the content, in cash. Same for any silver/Sterling.So if you have any items lying around and want to get rid of them and pocket some cash, bring your stuff. Doug & Sharon will not be able to make the hunt...per post Oct 04, by WSD

Posted Sep 07, 2010, 09:22:25 PM by WSD

Here is a place Ed has secured for us;
This ranch at one time was a training camp for missionaries, a camp for kids with problems and even a training grounds for Nigerian oil field workers. I think it is possible for you guys to really have an opportunity to find some stuff. The Frio River borders it.

BTW, a tornado went through there years ago and knocked down a lot of the old buildings.The land is not being used for anything I don't know if they have ever cleaned them up or not,the owner lives out of town(80mi).

Posted Sep 08, 2010, 06:09:37 AM by WSD

Here is a little info on the third place we will hunt;
There is 400 acres but your group would only be able to hunt on about 40-50 acres. He will give a history of the place to the group. The Nueces River runs about 1/4 mile on one end but has a solid rock riverbed. There is a family graveyard with 2 graves from the 1870's. There is also a cabin which was built in 1847 and somewhere a shootout took place between Captain Jack Hays and the Texas Rangers against the Indians.

The 5 Oaks Ranch is located on Hwy 55, 35 miles from Uvalde and 4 miles North of Montell. The ranch is on both sides of the highway however, your group will be hunting on the East side of the Hwy. He will need to be there to meet the group and tell them a little bit about the land.

Posted Sep 08, 2010, 07:00:43 AM by WSD

Ok, people,we will hunt Manza's place on Saturday and Sunday(16/17).Would you prefer to hunt the old missionary school or the 5 Oaks ranch next?Look at what has been posted for them and let me know by tomorrow and I'll see what I can set up.Looks like Cook's Slough borders part of Manza's,the Frio borders the school and the Nueces borders part of the ranch.
Manza's is on the southside of Uvalde,the school is a little SE and the ranch is nw near camp wood.
Manza also has 2 acres on the Frio near Concan we hunt sometime.

Posted Sep 08, 2010, 08:10:42 AM by WSD

Just remember that I haven't seen these places in person,so?I also asked that a $5 donation toward the landowners and Ed and Joanne who have worked hard down there to get these places.The donation will go toward a large bottle of Vodka for Ed,a box of candy and a bottle of wine for Joanne.I still need to find out what the other landowners,Manza,Cecil and Ron drink and since Maryanna at Neal's is giving us all the cabins at one price plus linens/towels/detecting privalige maybe someone can suggest something for her. If the $5 doesn't cover it all,I'll make up the difference.

Posted Sep 08, 2010, 06:12:41 PM by WSD

Ok, the 20th is the only day we can hunt at the missionary/school place because the owner has hunters (dove season or bow season) scheduled all other days. So it looks like Manza's on Saturday and Sunday, 5 Oaks Monday and Tuesday, missionary school on Wednesday and I'm trying to get hold of 5 Oaks to see if we can come back for the remainder of the week (make sure we behave ourselves).I'll let you know.Of course there is the two acres of Manza's in Concan on the Frio to consider also but I think we will be able to return to 5 Oaks for a day or two.And the campground. I understand that Roger,Maryanna's husband, has some land also??? I'll check it out.

Code:
[size=4]Fri, 15th - Arrival, meet @ meeting room & supper @ Neal's
Sat, 16th - Hunt @ Manza's property
Sun, 17th - Hunt @ Manza's property
Mon, 18th - Hunt @ 5 Oaks Ranch Breakfast/lunch @ BJ's
Tues, 19th - Hunt @ 5 Oaks Ranch Breakfast/lunch @ BJ's
Weds, 20th - Hunt @ Missionary School
Thurs, 21st - Hunt ??
Fri, 22nd - Hunt ??
Sat, 23rd - Hunt ??[/size]

Posted Sep 09, 2010 at 07:54:26 AM by WSD

Just an idea - When we hunt 5 Oaks the shortest route is through Camp Wood.There is a cafe there that serves breakfast/lunch/supper.Camp Wood is close to the 5 Oaks ranch.It's about 40 mi from where we will be staying,I think.The cafe seats 70,so plenty of room if you can drive that far before you eat breakfast but it would also be a place to take a break from the Ranch for lunch. http://www.campwood.com/BJ/index.html

http://www.campwood.com/location.htm

Posted Sep 21, 2010 at 09:19:18 AM by WSD

Just talked to Manza in Uvalde.He said they have had a lot of rain and the grass and brush has gotten pretty high.Just normal Texas looking land.He said we will park around his house(about an acre cleared) but that we will have to cover on foot what we want to hunt on the 30 acres.Will have to walk to the Cook's Slough area.The two acres on the Frio near Concan is about 5min from where we are staying and he has cleared it off.We can hunt it anytime we want.
He also said if anyone wants to pick up pieces of any of the hard cured mesquite on the 30 acres to take home it is ok.We will hunt Saturday from 9am until 4pm.Remember it will be getting dark earlier then.We'll decide after that if we want to hunt it Sunday or go to the two acres.If we hunt there again sunday,then the two acres will be available for you to hunt anytime you have free time to do so during the week.Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday are pretty well scheduled out right now.

Posted Sep 28, 2010,12:57:46 PM by WSD

Here is part of an email I just got from 5 Oaks Ranch;

The gate will be open and if you have any folding lawn chairs there are nice views of the
Nueces River under big oak trees. I will have bottled water for you but things are fairly
primitive out here and the land is rough so good sturdy shoes or boots. I have burned off
about 3 acres but most is tall grass, cactus, rusty barbed wire, mesquite, animal burrows
and lots of fire ants.

Birthday Party Invitation open to all
Sat, 16th 8 pm RV spot 1 Keith Patty turns 12,, free cake and beer

Laie_34.gif
Laie_29.gif
JC_wanted.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread