Officially off the half dollar bandwagon

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost 2 months with little to no production from my boxes so I am done with halves. I guess since TimZim busted out, there has been a pretty negative effect on the amount of silver that circulates. Boxes move slower, backlogs are generated, new inventory is shipped out since they have 40+ more boxes laying around per week now... Zzzzzzzzzzzz. Somebody wake me up when TZ is back at it.

OTOH, Ike bags are still treating me well. My last bag produced a few dozen 40%ers, by far my best bag, that was a wonderful surprise. I've now made 6 '72 T2 Ikes in 64 ($200-$250 each) and a whole bunch in 62/63. I'm pretty sure I have a raw one for my next submission that will make 65, that will be a great payday for a $20 investment.

I'm pretty happy with the way my dealing on eBay is going as well, it sure generates fantastic returns if you have a good eye for coins. Just figured some of you might want an update on what I've been doing these days. Hope you all are well and stacking the silver. :)

Upvote 0

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Idk how the silver tides work, but boxes of halves have been really good to me the past 2 months. I like the sound of those Ike returns. Get back on the half horse if you can. Can't end on a skunk streak.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the halves. At least you got some really killer boxes over the last year. At least I think it was you who got a few dream boxes. I finally found a bank that will order me Ike's! At least that's what I'm hoping I will get. The coin supplier understood what the teller meant so she tells me . Will see next week. HH

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you buddy.. The past couple months have been absolutely awful overall..

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm increasing my half dollar volume this month to see if I can hit my 200 ounce goal for 2013. I had a decent stretch of 10 boxes last night with 24 total keepers, but I'm going to need a big score or two in the next couple weeks to even come close.

OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you buddy.. The past couple months have been absolutely awful overall..
I think I've got maybe, 22, 23 keepers out of 9 wks worth of orders at 6 boxes a week. And all those keepers came in one week. Not even worth the time/money/resources and sure as hell not fun.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I've got maybe, 22, 23 keepers out of 9 wks worth of orders at 6 boxes a week. And all those keepers came in one week. Not even worth the time/money/resources and sure as hell not fun.

Yep.. I hear that.. I just searched 4 boxes today and found nothing.. Hopefully some good boxes come soon

halfhunter

Jan 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe found 5 40% over the last 20k....just about to be done myself.

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Its been a COLD WORLD in Texas. If I wasn't on dime restriction I would be doing them. Its like gambling you just dont know.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking of getting off the CRH wagon myself.

My totals for 2012

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
302 Boxes - - - - - - - - - - 477/40% - 151/90% - 129.0104 oz - 183 Skunks
Average: - - - - - - - - - - 1.58/40% - 0.50/90% : 0.4272 oz : Skunk Avg 60.60%
Skunk Streak: 11

My totals for 2013 so far

308 BOXES - - - - - - - - - - 194/40% - 21/90% - 6/F - 5/W - /B : 40.2670 oz - 221 Skunks
Average:- - - - - - - - - - 0.63/40% - 0.10/90% : 0.1307 oz : Skunk Avg 72%
Skunk Streak: 25

I have to take off an hour early every Friday to get my CRH in. It costs me about $11 pre tax in pay and another $6.50 in gas on top of 2 1/2 hours of my time.

With silver at $20 an oz, I would average a week....

2012: $49.62
2013: $16.11

I am currently at about a break even moving into loss area. If things dont pick up in what the boxes produce, I will just give it up. I make on average 75 cents worth of profit on every quarter spent at auctions, I would sooner invest those $$$ auctions as my returns are much higher.

halfnhalf

Feb 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the pain too!!Maybe if we all stopped for 6 mos we could have some fun later on??

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'm not into CRH since I simply don't have the spare cash laying around to do it. Buttt.. it would seem to me that there is a finite number of Silver coins left in the wild other than the rare occasion when grandma dumps her piggy bank off at the local bank. Add to that the fact that ALOT of people who didn't do this before started getting into it when Silver was close to $50 an oz. The gravy train has to end sometime. There will likely always be a few turning up here & there and every once in a Blue moon someone will get a good score but is it worth the hassle tying up thousands of dollars every week trying to make some pennies back on your investment ? If you have to go through 5k worth of halves to make 5 bucks you need a different hobby. There has to come a time when all you're doing is picking through eachothers dumps. Maybe you're there now ? :dontknow:

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not into CRH since I simply don't have the spare cash laying around to do it. Buttt.. it would seem to me that there is a finite number of Silver coins left in the wild other than the rare occasion when grandma dumps her piggy bank off at the local bank. Add to that the fact that ALOT of people who didn't do this before started getting into it when Silver was close to $50 an oz. The gravy train has to end sometime. There will likely always be a few turning up here & there and every once in a Blue moon someone will get a good score but is it worth the hassle tying up thousands of dollars every week trying to make some pennies back on your investment ? If you have to go through 5k worth of halves to make 5 bucks you need a different hobby. There has to come a time when all you're doing is picking through eachothers dumps. Maybe you're there now ? :dontknow:

I would assume this is the case but who really knows?

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly I dont care. I spent the last several years of my life being addicted to drugs and this hobby has helped get my mind off the dragon. I spend quality time in The evening talking to my son about history, our country and the amazing things a 5 years wonders about so im cool waiting on grandmother to empty her piggy bank.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly I dont care. I spent the last several years of my life being addicted to drugs and this hobby has helped get my mind off the dragon. I spend quality time in The evening talking to my son about history, our country and the amazing things a 5 years wonders about so im cool waiting on grandmother to empty her piggy bank.

I hear you on that.. I actually had a substance problem a few years ago.. CRH definitely helped me get past it.. If I may make a recommendation, try metal detecting with your son as well. If you live in an old area, there really is nothing like digging up an old piece of history, or perhaps even an old piece of silver.. That should definitely be a great way to share your love of history with the little one..

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of issues being thrown out here - opportunity cost, money, enjoyment, etc..
If coin roll hunting in general isn't fun for you because it's not producing, lower the volume or don't do it at all.
Regardless of individual results, collections will continue to be dumped all over the country, and they'll only be up for grabs for so long.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good for you, man. Glad to hear you've dug yourself out of that hole. I have too, it's a struggle but the reward is sweet.

TheNotoriousA.G.

Apr 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Hands & Ears
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a lot of issues being thrown out here - opportunity cost, money, enjoyment, etc..
If coin roll hunting in general isn't fun for you because it's not producing, lower the volume or don't do it at all.
Regardless of individual results, collections will continue to be dumped all over the country, and they'll only be up for grabs for so long.

That's what happened to me. I hit a 80 box skunk streak and decided to take a break. During the break my side business exploded and it ended up being less work ($/hr return) to just buy silver locally. The old man is still going strong with 4 boxes a week. He scored 40 franklins in a box last week; slow and steady wins the race I guess.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm actually pretty close to TimZim's area and I haven't noticed any major change in my boxes. Volume is always the key. If you move enough volume for long enough you'll hit some good boxes. I know you know that, but I'm going to type it anyway. I found 20 silvers in 4 boxes last night. Not dream boxes, but steady silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread