Oh for a THAW

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Oh for a THAW!

Oh... My... GOD..!!!! It was such a pretty day today. Well for that matter so was yesterday and the day before.. but I was working those other two days. Today I was off from work and it was GORGEOUS outside. The sun was shining, no wind to speak of, no rain, no snow (falling anyway) and hardly a cloud in the sky. Why the temperatures here in Lexington even rose to the lower 40’s for the first time in what seems like weeks. Having no other obligations to attend to, you KNOW I went detecting! YEEEEHAAAAAWWWW! Well.. that was the thought anyway.
I’ve often read or heard the term “moving glacially”, usually used in a derogatory fashion to complain on how swiftly or perhaps more accurately “slowly” something is moving or progressing. Well After a couple of hours traipsing around town today checking out some parks and testing the waters...er.. woodchips that is.. I can say that the thaw is indeed moving Glacially here in the BlueGrass. We’ve had a bit of snow of late, nothing monumental or noteworthy like some of you out there reading this, but a fair amount of snow, for here, to say the least. And, we’ve had LOTS of COLD weather, nearly a week we never got out of the teens, during the day! Well the snow has mostly melted away now, slowly reducing mountains of pushed or drifted snow into smaller and smaller hills, humps, and bumps of piles of snow. Ah, but there’s the rub! That melting snow turns to water and seeps down into the ground and then overnight when the temps dip again, it freezes again. *sigh* Even my beloved woodchips have fallen victim to this trick of Winter’s mischievousness. Usually, with just a light snow, like we normally get around these parts, the woodchips in the playgrounds and tot lots just get dusted and never really freeze up that much. OH NO! Not this time! They got saturated and then very very Solidly frozen.
Yeah.. I thought I might hit a couple of playgrounds and try my luck for the first time this year with the woodchips. Boy! Digging the chips today was like trying to dig through plywood or OSB (Oriented Strand Board). Unless the targets were pretty much on the surface, it was awfully hard to dig down to them to make a recovery. SHEESH! Yeah, but I’m a diehard and I had to have my detecting fix today, so I tried my luck at a couple of playgrounds all the same, two different parks on two different sides of town.
The first park. Coolivan Park. Not a place I’d normally go to on a warm summer afternoon, but on a cold day or wet miserable day when most people are staying indoors, it’s fair game.

Coolivan Park.jpg

When I arrived there was an unmarked police cruiser parked on the street by the parking lot entrance. Surveillance? Oh well, I geared up and got busy in and around the tot lot there. I was getting targets all over the place, but no many were very shallow. I, of course, recovered those that were shallow. The deeper ones however, went into my mental notebook for a return trip when the glacial permafrost that we’ve developed around here recently finally thaws out.

The second park was a discovery in itself! I wasn’t even aware of this park until today. I was on my way to an entirely different park when I happened to see the sign for this one just off the side of the street. So, of course, I stopped to check it out.

Lakeview Park.jpg

This is a medium sized park for these parts, and has lots of wooded walking trails or paths or whatever you call them, as well as two distinct playground areas. One, an older one with swing sets that no longer have chains or swings and the other missing playground equipment is no longer in use. The second one, is much newer and has new tot lot equipment and those wonderful (when not frozen) woodchips. I visited the woodchips today. And, like the first park earlier, found lots of targets, both shallow and deep. Yeah, I’ll be coming back to this park when it warms up a bit too. I’m going to check out the other end of the park where the older equipment was as well.. and maybe even detect along the walking trails.
Yeah, the day wasn’t a total bust. The weather was wonderful, I got out of the house, I got my metal detecting fix! And, I discovered a new place to hunt! Oh.. and I came away with a nice pocket full of change too. Oh there were other finds.. like the plastic bottle caps that I collect for my darling wife who puts them into the computer for “rewards”.

Caps.JPG

There was the usual finds of course, pull tabs, buttons, snaps, grommets, rivets, and other miscellaneous metal scrap. One item looks to have been a piece of jewelry at one point or another. It’s a Solid Copper Wire that has been capped on the ends and wrapped with some sort of fabric. Even had stones glued to it (the fabric). <shrug>

Crap.JPG

I did find one lone Wheaty today. A 1951 D Wheat Penny.. cool.

WF.JPG

WB.JPG

And.. of course the pocket full of coins in my finds bag was a plus too. More than paid for gas used today getting me from place to place. Got to love this hobby!

Clad.JPG

Another day off tomorrow, another day in the 40’s, or so the weather man was predicting. Too bad they’re calling for slight chance of showers as well though. Then again, maybe the rain and drizzle will melt that permafrost in the woodchips and elsewhere. Here’s hoping anyway. <smile> Hope you all get to get out and enjoy a little time in the sun this week. And, as always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Pretty good haul for shallow hunting. Good luck today if you get out. (Past midnight now) :laughing7:
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice going bud!
Glad you got some warmer weather down there. Good luck at your new spot.
Mike

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
looks like you had a decent day at a new place. I think your copper thing may be a part to a lamp shade

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Thanks for interesting story and its good you have found some more places to hunt. It is supposed to be 40 today in southern Ohio but still have 2 inches of snow on the ground it is melting but slowly. Like you I have located some new places to hunt and just waiting for a little better conditions. A group of our club guys are digging a privy this Sunday, I can't make it in the morning but will join them in the afternoon to see if I can help any.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Bell-Two said:
Thanks for interesting story and its good you have found some more places to hunt. It is supposed to be 40 today in southern Ohio but still have 2 inches of snow on the ground it is melting but slowly. Like you I have located some new places to hunt and just waiting for a little better conditions. A group of our club guys are digging a privy this Sunday, I can't make it in the morning but will join them in the afternoon to see if I can help any.
Hmmm.. digging a privy.. as the ice and snow melts.. sounds..uh.. "muddy" <grin> Hope everyone wears rubber gloves.

I love snow and winter, but it deffinately puts a crimp in the old detecting hobby at times. *sigh*

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frozen solid here! It's a real pain chipping out the few coins one can. Part of the reason I HATE WINTER. Good luck frodov! GH Kane 23

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs! I vote BANNER on the Colonial My Coke Rewards caps!! 36 more and you can purchase a song!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
GopherDaGold said:
Nice digs! I vote BANNER on the Colonial My Coke Rewards caps!! 36 more and you can purchase a song!

<laughing> You should see all the stuff my wife has "collected" over the past two years by "cashing in" all the coke rewards caps. Between what we actually drink, and the caps I pick up while out detecting and the ones that friends and family save for her, she's collected a BUNCH! Everything from the songs that you mentioned.. a whole catalog of them, to ear buds, to stuffed animals (giant Coca Cola Polar Bear) that stands over three feet tall, to movie passes, shirts, caps (hats), and more. Hey! for what little work you do to get stuff, picking them up is like picking up a coin. A very low denomination coin, to be sure, but like money all the same. I do draw the line at taking the caps off of bottles with unidentifiable fluids in them.. often found by the side of the road on in ditches. Never know what you might be opening up.. <shudder>
~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Sniffer said:
looks like you had a decent day at a new place. I think your copper thing may be a part to a lamp shade

Lamp shade huh? Hmmm.. hadn't thought of that actually. I figured it was a piece of homemade jewelry in the bohemian (spelling?) style that is popular with the college kids and high school kids who frequent this park. I *did* think it was odd that it only had one "end" on it and that it would have been a rather small bracelet if that is what it was. Hmmm.. Lamp shade? could be.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
glad you had great weather to hunt in love tot lots dont forget to scrap that copper its bring top dollar now. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread