Oh My Gosh got another large cent

Wolfbite

Jul 22, 2006
Walnut Cove NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Got off early today from work and it was so nice.So i raced home grabbed my md and
took off.Found a wheat penny and what i thought was a silver quarter turned out to be a
1974.But i found what i thought was a necklace piece it appeared to have a hole in it.So
when i got home i started soaking it and boom it turned up as a large cent.I am getting ready to clean it but this time i took pics of it before.I am just excited and wanted to share with everyone my find.I found it about 4 inches deep in red clay its going to take a bit to clean.I dont want to scratch it up so im cleaning it very slow.We can't pick the coins we find i mean i haven't got any barbers or IH.But a find like this really pumps me up.And i wanted everyone to know that we can find good coins in a lot of locations.This area is an old wagon road and i have done research.Most
of the older houses were built in the early 1900's.But there are a few that are older or i have been told so.Anyhow i thank you all for looking.I will post pics after its cleaned more.HH Wolfbite

Attachments

• Elayna 222.jpg
    Elayna 222.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Elayna 230.jpg
    Elayna 230.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Elayna 236.jpg
    Elayna 236.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,025
Upvote 0

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im waiting..........in in NC too...i got to see this

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WTG Wolf! A large cent, always a treasured find,
yes rare, but not impossible for a talented hunter.
For those whom don't believe, they can just go away huh.
Keep the great finds coming. Would to see some pics too!

Smiles!
BDoo

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Congratulations!
Don't forget to post it after it's cleaned up.

Ridley

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
Very Nice find....gee I am still waiting for my first one! Nice Going!

Me to.
:'(

But I am VERY excited for you to have found one!!!! :) Congratulations!!!!

Nana

OP
OP
Wolfbite

Wolfbite

Jul 22, 2006
Walnut Cove NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks everybody.I was real excited and it was a super suprise.I really thought it was
a dog tag or a necklace.I had found wheat pennies and a few silvers from 1940's to the 30's there.I was making what i thought was last rounds at this site.But will be going back again.The coin is 1840's havent got the last number cleaned yet.I have it in peroxide
under a small lamp.Its worn but i can see the date good.HH Wolfbite

lawman0210

Jan 6, 2007
Edgewood, MD
Detector(s) used
Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering what a large cent reads on detectors. I have a gti 2500. Do I did items reading in the penny and quarter marks that are of the C and D sizes? Anything above B are suppose to be larger then coins. But does that include older coins?

OP
OP
Wolfbite

Wolfbite

Jul 22, 2006
Walnut Cove NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
lawman0210 said:
I was wondering what a large cent reads on detectors. I have a gti 2500. Do I did items reading in the penny and quarter marks that are of the C and D sizes? Anything above B are suppose to be larger then coins. But does that include older coins?
I have an ace 250 it showed up mainly as a quarter but jumped from penny to fifty cent
back and forth.I keep mine on jewerly mode.Hopes this helps.Wolfbite

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Wolfbite said:
lawman0210 said:
I have an ace 250 it showed up mainly as a quarter but jumped from penny to fifty cent
back and forth.I keep mine on jewerly mode.Hopes this helps.Wolfbite

Hey Wolfbite,
Great dig. Looks like we run the same way. And I always dig anything jumping in that range. It's sure nice to see that cursor steady though!
Great job.

~Nash~

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job, Wolf. A large cent is always a great find.

I was smiling at your comment about not finding a barber coin yet. I've found 11 large cents and many other coins from the 1800's........but no barbers for me, either. I guess I'd rather have my large cents over a barber anyday. ;)

Congratulations! :)

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Nice find! I have found a number of them (mostly during the "golden age" of detecting), but I have never tried peroxide to clean with. Does it work good? I always just let them soak in olive oil for a while.

........HH

OP
OP
Wolfbite

Wolfbite

Jul 22, 2006
Walnut Cove NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
MEinWV said:
Nice find! I have found a number of them (mostly during the "golden age" of detecting), but I have never tried peroxide to clean with. Does it work good? I always just let them soak in olive oil for a while.

........HH
Its worked good for me.I read a post in this forum in a different area a while back .And
i have being trying coins to see how it works. Mainly my old wheat pennies that are badly corroded.It works great but you can't have any oil on the coins.Soap and water may get the oil off.I soak mine in olive oil after im done cleaning.(Don in sj) is where the post came from.I would try non valuable coins first for sure till you get the hang of it.I use a trouble light to heat the peroxide up.Rub the coin with a qtip from time to time.Read the post i'm sure its still up.
HH Wolfbite

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Sweet find. ;D Congratulations. I would be pumped too.

I've found plenty of Barbers, IH's and even a few seated but no Large Cents. Gotta take what you can get. :)

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread