Oh My... Which one to buy?

TravelerX2

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to purchase a metal detector for my husband for Christmas. This 2013 Christmas!! The more I read the more confused I get. So I thought I would reach out to the experts for advice. He will mostly be using this on the beach on the east coast of Florida. On what is commonly referred to as the "Treasure Coast". He will be retiring in a few years and needs a hobby. He will not need a machine for underwater as one can not hunt for treasure in the water only on the beach but certainly waterproof. I'm reading about the Excalibur and people seem to like that one. I'm concerned about weight. I wouldn't think you wouldn't want one too heavy. I'm also reading about the XP Deus. Lightweight, wireless. I like anything wireless. Since he is a beginner I want something that he will be able to use somewhat quickly but I will say he's a quick learner and very tech savvy. I would like to stay in the $3000 range with accessories and everything he will need to start. Sorry for the length of this post I just wanted to give you some background info. Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the beach you can't beat the Excalibur.
the only other thing he is really going to need is a good scoop
sand scoop - STAVRscoop Stainless Steel SAND SCOOP, for Beach and Water Metal Detecting Hunting
Stealth beach scoop
get with bart at big boy hobbies he will make you a good deal on the excel. I like the stealthscoop but others like the stavr can't go wrong with either.
to help with the weight get him a straight shaft, Anderson makes them there are others but they are the big boys. If he is at all handy he can make his own for 20-30 bux.
Bob

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for a first machine i would get him a atpro from Garrett if he knows how to metal detect and loves it then maybe ctx 3030 from minelab

OP
OP
TravelerX2

TravelerX2

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I will take another look at the Excalibur. Thanks for the tip on the scoop and the idea on the straight shaft.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
You sound like a wife that every guy needs :)
Just because you Husband needs a hobby when he retires, does not mean that he will like metal detecting. The last thing you want to do is spend two grand on a machine that may sit in the closet. Unless money is not object, you may want to have him try a low to medium priced machine to see just how much it gets used. Then if he gets addicted, he will know what he wants at that time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that budget, I'd get the CTX3030. It's as good or better for the beach as the Excalibur and will also work great in a land hunt. I'm sure one of our sponsor vendors here would put a package together that would include a good sand scoop and all the other accessories that he would need for under $3K. I'd pass on the AT Pro for this application as the Minelabs are much better for a salt water beach. Same with the XP Deus....it's not waterproof.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he's not ever going to need to submerge the control housing in water, as you stated on the treasure coast, the Etrac is a great beach machine also. Can be purchased for about $900 less than CTX and there are a wide variety of larger and smaller coils available. Sounds like a great present either way you go!

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the models up hear suggested I think im gonna agree with fletch on this one of u end up with any or questions on a v3i whites or a deus xp drop me a pm, ill be more then glad to help. But the etrac sounds like it would be great for a starter takes most a Long time to get one so he is lucky

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, he will give you straight forward advice. He has fast shipping and usually the best price if not his prices are equal to anyone elses.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
My suggestion will be the Minelab Excalibur and a Very Good Beach scoop. Check Big Boys Toys. I use an Excalibur and put the controls in a Gun Pouch on my hip.. Also spend the money on a Knob Guard-goldnugget

OP
OP
TravelerX2

TravelerX2

Nov 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the response. I would hate to drop a lot of money on something my husband wouldn't use and hopefully I won't. He gives me nice gifts I just want to do the same for him. I really think he will love it. He has expressed interest in metal detecting and I'm sure will start using it after Christmas the times we are in Florida. We also live on a farm so I feel he would enjoy using it at home as well. I think I will give Bart a call and see what he suggests. I really appreciate the help. Thanks to all.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TraveelrX2,

The Minelab Excalibur II is a great beach machine, but not the best choice for the farm The Minelab CTX3030 would work well in both environments, and we can customize a package that will give him all the tools he will need. Give me a call if I can help you in your decision or you wish to discuss options. Be sure and mention Treasurenet!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread