Oh NO! Update--Rev War musketballs

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
(An expert on the area just told me the exact location I was searching was used in the 60s and 70s as a live firing range for re-enactors, so I've been finding their bullets, not those of the original soldiers. Explains why there are no other artifacts. That area was probably picked over years ago. Wish the guy hadn't told me, then I would still think they were real.)

I hit an area adjacent to this site of Washington's troops (link below) and found a large flat area about the size of half a football field in the woods. I started hitting musketballs and they were everywhere in several sizes, from the regular about the size of the end third of a fat thumb and almost perfectly round except very bottom is flat, to smaller ones about the size of a pencil eraser (but almost perfectly round). Also many fired ones (flat or mushroom shaped). Weird thing is I found nothing else at all. Very strange not to find any buttons there or anything else with so many musketballs. I covered only a fraction of the area, but should have found somthing else. There could be hundreds of musketballs there, as I was finding them every few swings of the coil. I have to go count, but I found around 20 or so (corrected: just counted and it's closer to 50). Will be going back to see.
Thanks. Any ID on that more modern looking bullet (1800s?) appreciated. It's hollow in the back and has three grooves around the circumference. Also, given this was Washington's troop site, at least some of the guys who lost these must have known or met Washington.

http://www.revolutionaryday.com/usroute9w/windsor/default.htm

Attachments

• musktballs.JPG
    musktballs.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 468
Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Rev War site--pocket full of musketballs

somebody had a bet who could"long ball"the target contest bottle,can,hat on a stick just a guess

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like it could also be a training ground /target practice area.You should find alot more there in the future!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quit a bit of history there! Does sound like it was possibly a training range. HH, Mike

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice Finds Bergie

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

I have only hunted a couple of Rev.War sites, but your right I have always found other relics mixed in with the musket balls. Even if it was a range or training area you would expect to find something else. Keep hunting there has to be more there, keep us posted. trk5capt... PS... At least now you know why there were no other relics present at the site. trk5capt...

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Re: photo added--Rev War musketballs

We figure a firing range for sure. These are being found on the far side of a hill and on the other side of the hill is another flat area where they must have fired from into the hill. The ones we are finding went over the hill. This explains why there are only musketballs in the area and not buttons, etc. Unfortunately, where they fired from is a protected historical area and can't go there.

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Very nice Bergie. That spot should keep you busy for a long time. Keep looking. If there were targets or something, someone had to go over there to put them up. Congrats...Lance

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It may be that you will need to get most of the lead dug before you find start finding the other artifacts. I have dug Civil War Camps like that and once most of the bullets were dug we started finding more buttons and camp relics. Good luck. Tsgman

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WoW! :o

Very nice Bergie!!

Nana ;)

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

It's too bad Revolutionary War stuff didn't happen anywhere near me. That's the one war that truly fascinates me. I guess I'll just have to dream about finding big Civil War finds! :D

OP
OP
bergie

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
(An expert on the area just told me the exact location I was searching was used in the 60s and 70s as a live firing range for re-enactors, so I've been finding their bullets, not those of the original soldiers. Explains why there are no other artifacts. That area was probably picked over years ago. Wish the guy hadn't told me, then I would still think they were real.)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I was thinking that when I saw your post,,, Though I had replied to it,, but I guess not...
You think some of them could still be the real deal,,, some of them you have are white'ish in color while others are not...
Maybe you got some of the originals a long with some of the others... ???
Good luck & Happy hunting~

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with LEON.

Unless they were Fireing Originals, The White ones are Probably Real.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some day an archaeologist will dig this site and find repro accoutrement's and clad coins and will wonder what's going on. ;D ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
how long does it take for a musket ball to turn white in the ground?

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
I was thinking as well with a few of the others about the white on some of the balls. I have heard before that depending on the soil conditions ( ie. acidity)affect the whiting process . I am no expert in this area though. HH Art...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't Either, However The Man Told him the site "was used in the 60s and 70s as a live firing range for re-enactors"

? Since Some of the Balls are NOT White, I'd Guess those are From That Era, And the White ones MUCH older.

? ?How else would you Explain Some White & not All, (Being They were All Dug in the Same Ground)? IF they Were All dropped Within a 20 Year Period.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
My question is for the "drops". Those which obviously had not been fired. How deep?? Unless you have incredible stable soil there 230 year old musket ball should be deep whereas 30 year "drops" should be shallow which would only be a few inches. Of course all bets are off if the area had been extensively plowed Although I have found 1700's era? musket balls in undisturbed sites in Ohio pretty shallow at 6" these were the exception. What was the complete depth range you were finding these balls?? Were the white oxidizd balls deep?

George

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ? I've never seen any re enactments before, so I was just curious.
Why are the re enacters out there firing live rounds? I'm sure they don't do it during battle scenes.? I'd think that would be paying too much attention to detail. Unless of course they wanted their casualties to look real.? ? ? ? Anyway,? ? Cool finds!!? ? ?HH
? ? ? ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread