SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might help... I've been detecting since 1977. Back then, the digging tool was a screwdriver since the detectors didn't detect deeper than 2 or 3 inches. As the detector depth capabilities improved, the digging tool became a trowel or shovel. The main reason you are seeing all the restricted counties is there are a certain group of people on this planet that don't care what they wreck, meaning they dig huge holes when detecting and either didn't fill in the hole or did a bad job of fixing the hole! It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

Here's the reason in writing for Plain Township in Ohio from your attachment:

Even though there are responsible people participating in this hobby, there are also many people who are not careful on how they replace the soil and turf.* Our biggest park has many sport fields that we rely on for the Parks Department income and budget each year.* These fields need to stay pristine.* Since it is hard to monitor who and where people metal detecting, we currently do not permit the hobby."

I have a local park here that I've been detecting since 1997, Last year they shut it down because of one blank hole digging holes and not filling them in.

Here's the sign posted in the park now...

Detecting Sign.jpg

I would suggest you start asking neighbors and friends for permission to detect their yards. I can recommend an appropriate method to gig a hole to recover a target without leaving any damage to the yard. Would be glad to help you out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

voodoo710, I do not put much stake into these type compendiums . Nifty lists that people have crafted like that. There are scores of such lists that have circulated. Eg.: people have tried to put together each of the 50 states "state parks" policies. People have tried to do nations of the world lists, etc... And .... like your list for sub-entities, within states. Ie.: tried to break it down into counties, and even cities . Which is FAR from comprehensive list of all the cities in Ohio, I hope you can see.

Here's where all such efforts break down : Guess how they find out their information to put in their nifty lists ? It's easy: You just send an email, or call the "powers that be", and ask. Eh ? What could be more easy than that, eh ? Who better to ask than the entity themselves, eh ? Or the list compiler went by someone else's info. that did the same thing before them (asked). Or rumor circulates that "so & so got a scram" (I see such allusions on your list). Well ... gee, we have to put on the list that "such & such place in doubt" (so that skittish md'rs can now all rush to bored pencil pushers in that city or county to "get it clarified", eh ?)

Now if whomever is passing out those answers, that arrived in that list can give a chapter and verse that ACTUALLY SAYS 'no md'ing', fine. That's valid. But notice that the large majority of the dire info you get there is NOT backed up by any chapter and verse. I'm willing to bet it's arrived at exactly as I've said: MD'rs in the past (bless their little hearts) went asking "can we metal detect?". Whomever answers has images of geeks with shovels, passes the "pressing question" to a bored archie, and comes back with a "no". So now we can put it in these nifty lists, and all sit back satisfied that we've gotten the "safe" answer. Ie.: No one cared TILL you asked routine.

I see entire counties there with nothing but a "no", with no substantiation (actual law) that says such a thing. I'll assume they're talking about county parks, in those cases (not every inch of land within the county). But I'll bet you dollars to donuts I could detect in ANY ONE OF THOSE COUNTY parks, and be totally ignored (so long as it wasn't an obvious historic sensitive landmark).

If you are skittish, you can look up city muni codes on the cities website, wherever you go. If you see nothing there that says "no md'ing", presto, it's not prohibited. Same for county parks, etc.... Personally I don't even go to that hassle.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... Last year they shut it down because of one blank hole digging holes and not filling them in....

Perhaps this is truly the case in the situation you cite. But also be aware, it's not un-common to get a "no because of holes" or "scram because of holes". And the md'r will curse under his breath "durned that md'r that must've left holes".

But I'm not so sure that, in those cases, there was necessarily ever a case of holes (or... at least ... not one that would have led to the rule). I'm of the opinion that "holes" is simply the knee-jerk reaction that a non-md'r can get, by simply seeing an md'r. Or simply being tasked with imaging md'ing. Ie.: if the question crosses someone's desk for approval, guess what they might be subconsciously thinking ? MD'ing = holes. So they say "no because of holes". It doesn't mean they ever actually saw any holes.

Same for someone who says "scram" EVEN THOUGH THE MD'R WASN'T EVER STOOPING DOWN TO DIG. Or even if you dig, but leave no trace whatsoever. It can be because they simply have a mental image that md'ing will, of necessity, lead to "holes".

So you can knock yourself silly trying to convince them it never happened, or that you'll leave no trace. Or ... you can simply go at lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lou busy-bodies.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Here is an example of why this list, and lists such as this, carry no merit at all to my mind. Consider the following cut & paste from your list:

Hancock County Parks
Metal detecting is prohibited under this park rule:
1.1 Defacement, Destruction, Removal

No person shall injure, deface, destroy or remove any part of the Park or building, sign, equipment, or other property found therein, nor shall any tree, flower, shrub, or other vegetation, or fruit or seed thereof, rock or stone rip-rap, or mineral be removed, injured, destroyed, or disturbed. (O.R.C. §2909.05)

Ok. Look long and hard. Do you see "no metal detecting " there ? No. Instead it's relying on "deface", "alter" and "remove" verbiage. Ok, if all such boiler plate language means: "No metal detecting", then ... ok ... EVERY SINGLE PARK, SCHOOL, BEACH, FOREST, DESERT, etc.... on ALL public land, is therefore now off-limits to detecting. Because I can guarantee you, that such language (forbidding destruction, forbidding removing park features, etc...) exists for every speck of public land. So you might as well take up a different hobby, if you/they think that such verbiage means "no md'ing". Or... you have to stick to private property.

I hunt parks all the time, with no problem, that ... if I looked long enough and hard enough, I could find such language. Or ... ask enough city lawyers, and presto, they'd get images of geeks with shovels and point you to such language.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good feedback here for you to digest. You should go and do some research for yourself to see what is true. Here, we are required to get a free metal detecting permit to detect our Metro Parks. They have specific rules and we abide by them. They don't allow any detecting in the manicured lawn areas. Most of our State Parks have small areas that are detectable, but many allow no detecting.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to click around through some of those park rules. I picked "Erie" and read their entire 9 pages of park rules. After that, I'm not sure it's legal to even breath within the confines of the park without special, specific, written permission!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... park rules. I picked "Erie" and read their entire 9 pages of park rules. After that, I'm not sure it's legal to even breath within the confines of the park without special, specific, written permission!

And it's your obligation to make sure it's ok. Hurry now and ask.

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I have run into is a "certain" group of officials who dont want you to make money or profit or have something they dont. Govt at all levels are phenomenal at weasel words and mind screwing along with work arounds... I agree with alot of suggestions around here on joining a group. I remember walking the Florida coastline one time and come up on a Miami Dade Sheriff who made it simple. The residents houses along the beach dont own the beach behind there house yet they will be the first to call us when your back there by stating they feel there in eminent danger. ....LOL..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread