Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allan Eckert made a detailed mention of the Shawnee treasure burials in either THE FRONTIERSMAN, or THAT DARK AND BLOODY RIVER. I believe the main one was at their big village near Chillicothe, and the Shawnee had the $ too, as they had forts from the Gulf to the Great Lakes and controlled the major north south trade routes. Maps and historic descriptions in Eckert's books which should put you on target, but your going to need a 2 box or other deep searching system, and the skill to use it.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hav read where early finds included an Indian princes that was buried with a lot of mica around her near Portsmouth I think. They also discovered a mas grave there that had hundreds of men and women in it...close to the Phone company, off of Scioto trail(rt 23)..that may be a good area to check out.

OP
OP
P.ALLEN

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fort Ancient and Adena really paved the way for the Shawnee to be a powerhouse in the Area, having influence between the Cherokee down south, all the way up to Ojibwa and Chippewa territory. Adena mounds held treasures really, copper from the north, and conch and pearls from the gulf. I remember reading about caches along the rivers near Dayton, and I can almost bet that there are caches along the Maumee and it's surrounding tributaries. Many Shawnee and Wyandot braves went north with prisoners after the second battle of the River Raisen, on the way to cross the river over to Fort Maulden Ontario. It was an early version of the infamous Bataan Death March. Thanks for the info folks.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was/is a cache near the ranger station/wildlife people just past the Veteran's hospital in Chillicothe...on the right going north ....mound city there....but you cant dig as its just inside the wall..my machine found it from the car. one other cache near the river but right in the biggest bunch of poison Ivy I ever seen...maybe private property but only 300 yards form the big mound there. If you want to see some neat stuff get a copy of Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley by Squire and Davis...written around 1847 they were commissioned by the newly formed Smithsonian..you can get a copy from gustavaslibrary.com..I got mine at that ranger station at the mounds..10 bucks and full of cool stuff original drawings. If you are into the Indian thing get a copy of the Archeological Atlas of Ohio.. shows all the old trails and villages of all the Indians in olio!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions