Ohio School House yields more silver

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After plucking a mercury and Edward VII silver pin out of this old school house site a week ago, I returned and picked up 22 more coins, including a mercury dime, 6 wheat pennies and a sliver 1964 Quarter. All the others were modern. I also found my first WWI era button. The grounds are full of pull tabs and other garbage. I'm thinking of switching to the 6 inch coil and running in all metals mode to see if I can pull out a few more treasures next time. I'm still coming up the learning curve with the Equinox 800 but its ability to pick a coin out of the midst of other garbage is pretty impressive.

I always like the guys that show their trash as well as treasures since it helps those newer to the hobby have realistic expectations. My trash to treasure ratio on this hunt was 3.8 to 1. That's nearly the same as my last visit. I'd love if everyone reported their trash to treasure ratio. It would be interesting to compare.

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Upvote 20

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds!!! I was wondering if the Equinox could really see a coin on top of a chunk of iron trash. I have seen a couple of videos of it doing that.

OP
OP
OhioTrevor

OhioTrevor

Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@ExcentricInTexas, I pulled a wheat, a pull tab and a nail out of the same hole yesterday. I could discern the high squeak from the low tones and wanted to see there really was something nestled close to the junk. Sure enough.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the silver, congrats! :occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job finding those silvers- Congrats!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I am glad to see someone is digging at these ole school houses! We have quite a few. Congratulations! I agree about showing the trash with the treasure. I only hunt my own property and a campground. My metal detecting ratio on my own property is 99.99 trash to .01 treasure. LOL! I find a lot of clad at the campgrounds, so that makes it funner. Happy Hunting! :thumbsup:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job nothing like an old school house to pull history from Awesome post. Plus your right gotta dig trash to get treasure but worth it in the long run Well done Tommy

HeatherM

Apr 12, 2020
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that you showed the trash! I was just mumbling and grumbling to myself about this yesterday after digging trash for eight hours and only a few nice flat buttons and some clad at a 1770's house. Kept thinking about the posts I read on here where people seemingly walk out of their car a few feet and bam find all these old coins and silver easy-peasy. Infuriating!! I think it definitely makes me feel better knowing others dig a large ratio of trash too!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread