pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My E-trac has given me some outstanding finds. The only detector before that was Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I would like to get that back from my mom (she likes to detect too) so I can loan it to my friends if they want to tag along. I guess I'll have to get her a better machine for Christmass.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have eighteen seasons on a cz20 and I am deadly with it. I'm too skeered and my wallet is too skinny to buy a newer top of the line machine. At this time.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I do believe I have found more silver coins with a Bounty Hunter 840 but that was 30 yrs ago and it didn't matter where you was at you found silver every time you went out. But right now for my land hunting I like the Whites DFX and for my water hunting days I love the Exal I have found plenty with it and I have only had it for 2 yrs now and it has already paided for itself......Matt

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Etrac has been pretty good to me. After a few years now. and 5,000 plus hours ..I find it hard to part with it. Of course different soil conditions apply to what machine I use, but the Etrac would be difficult for me to let go

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Whites XLT 10 years old, all original, never been back to Whites, will still dive 2' for a big one.
Frank

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the best detector i have owned .. And found really good finds with was my ...... Garrett Freedom 2 Coin Commander ...NO multi sounds no vdi screen......... Just a plain detector with out all the toys hooked to it you know all those bell & whistles.......

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!p8E63Zwi-ISBOzTHM7nV!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!p8E63Zwi-ISBOzTHM7nV!~~60_12.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,274
  • $(KGrHqV,!ocE63(m!7(8BOzTH)v9,!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!ocE63(m!7(8BOzTH)v9,!~~60_12.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 2,043

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keppy said:
Well the best detector i have owned .. And found really good finds with was my ...... Garrett Freedom 2 Coin Commander ...NO multi sounds no vdi screen......... Just a plain detector with out all the toys hooked to it you know all those bell & whistles.......

I've got a similar machine. A Garrett Freedom 2 Plus. Great detector!!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
okdiggermark said:
Keppy said:

I've got a similar machine. A Garrett Freedom 2 Plus. Great detector!!
yes of all the detectors i have used right up to the new one's out.......The freedom was the best to me........... Garrett will still repair them..... but has no coils for them....... But if you need a coil just Call Keith Wills he has coils for the Garrett Freedom detectors.. www.brokendetector.com

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My old Meterotech 220. Together we hauled trunk loads of Civil War relics out of the Harpers Ferry area.

Metrotech still makes a metal "locator" they brand the "220." I do not know good today's machine is relic hunting. Today's 220 is labeled for industrial use.

The old 220, my Metrotech, was the Cadillac of relic metal detectors. Of course it would find coins and other small objects, but given there was no target pin pointer and the coils were large sometime recovery holes got a tad on the big side. I remember hunting with a fellow near the Antietam Battlefield we were coming up this little hill where over shots would have came down and till we were done we had that ground resembling a freshly dug garden ready to plant. The landowner was surprised how many minnie balls were in his field. You must keep in mind this was in the relative early days of metal detecting, the hobby was no where near as popular as it is today. I'm sure those fields are picked over many, many times since.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Explorer 2, 50+ silvers from the hard-hit parks around home this year, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
I have eighteen seasons on a cz20 and I am deadly with it. I'm too skeered and my wallet is too skinny to buy a newer top of the line machine. At this time.

I too have a hot CZ-20 that still is my favorite water detector. I also will never get rid of the land version, the CZ-6a. But lately I have been using the Tejon even though it isn't as light as the 6a when the 6a is hip mounted.

Attachments

• CZ-6a.jpg
    CZ-6a.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,491

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
That's easy...my very best and most productive detector over 42 years of THing was the Tesoro DeLeon. I bought one back in 1994 (as I recall) and hunted my same old sites. I absolutely killed the old silver and early coppers. But everyone back then was bashing the DeLeon so I sold it for $275 postpaid on ebay. I'm still kicking myself over that stupid move.

I then moved to Minelab machines and back then Minelab wasn't very popular here on TNet (Whites was the ruling brand). My user ID here at that time was "Minelab" and I used to get a lot of ribbing by some who are now totally devoted to the brand.

I've owned most of the Minelab brands made from about 2000 to our time. I liked all of them once I learned them. But I hate to admit it but I've never done as well as I did with that Tesoro. Maybe just coincidence? Who knows.

My very worst detectors ever are as follows:

1. A PI unit KellyCo touted as "The Deepest Detector Ever" back in 1983. It was made somewhere in Europe and was called "The Deep Scan." It was a complete piece of junk. Calls to KellyCo were unfruitful and letters ignored. I paid nearly $1000 for it in 1983 and sold it a few months later for $75 (this was before Paypal protection and the internet for "influence pressure"). Since that time I've tried several PI units and never liked any of them as well as a good VLF unit. I found the depth greatly exaggerated with all of them.

2. My second worst detectors are a tie. The Fisher F70 & F75. I know many love them but I honestly don't know why. Best I stop here.

You asked and there it is.

Great thread. These always draw a heavy response (if I don't start them...LOL)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
lonesomebob
Really and truely, without any bs, what is the detector that you have owned ,used and had the best success with, what one would you wost like to get back.

... Success with.......Minelabs Excalibur.....But I would like to get back my old White's TM 1000, reason.......Used it for one summer, maybe 10 times in the water, never found Gold or silver, so I moved to land detecting and the family life. If I had found ONE Gold, I would have stayed in the water, Probably Got a Excalibur when the came out in 93/94 excal's, and had enough gold to retire by now..So I would like to have the Old PI 1000 back so I could shoot it.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a White's Quantum XT that I'm still kicking myself for trading in for a Spectrum XLT. (No offense to the Spectrum, it just wasn't the machine for me.) I learned my lesson, my Sidewinder is never getting traded in or sold. Though I do plan to get a Cibola next year.

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and I still have it. The White's DFX is a great machine. From clad to silver, rings to relics, the machine does it all.

Merry Christmas.

HH

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's actually a tough question. Depending on geographic location I have a couple machine that work for me. I have found some great relics using my trusty Etrac, and I am seeing lately the the Teknetics T2 LTD in some conditions a tad better.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way back in 1993 I purchased the original Fisher CZ6. Over the last 18 years I've dug up over 1000 silver coins with this machine. Some of the silver dime recoveries have been in that 8 to 9 inch range in depth! 18 years old and it still works like a charm! :thumbsup:

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can still find the Quantum's for sale on eBay and White's is still doing the upgrade from the Quantum II to the XT? I love mine! Never gonna sell it either! I got lucky and found mine at a Dealer, while looking at his "used detector list"? Awesome detector!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
+1 for the XLT. I have hundreds of hours on her and she is a dear friend.

I sure miss the CZ-7a pro that I sold about 10 years ago. That thing had a 4" coil that was killer in trash. Do not remember what I sold it for but it wasn't enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions