OK heres the story

parrothead

Oct 1, 2005
Morris, Illinois
OK here's the story

One of the banks that I use on aregular basis for business and personal had agreed to let me buy their counting machine bag of halves when it was full. It's been a while and I was getting impatient so I went in today and filled the bag myself with almost $400 in halves (it takes $1000.00 to be full). So I will end up looking through $400 of already searched halves and a bit over $600 in unsearched halves.

The results for silver are a bit better than I have had with box orders. 1 - 90% and 12 - 40%. Nothing spectacular, but again, a little better than the ordered boxes that I pick up here and there.

Here's the interesting part. There was way more than just halves in the bag right from the sorting machine. I was getting every denomination as well as 4 sac dollars and 2 susies. What sucks, is that the total for the bag after counting halves and other denominations was $963.88 After creating a spreadsheet that exchanged the other coins for the difference between it and a half dollar, I was less than a dollar off of the $1000.00 dollars that I had tied up in it.

Here is a look at how it breaks down.

Amount paid $1,000.00 If all coins were counted as halves
Type Qtty value Type Qtty value
half 1886 $943.00 half 1884 $0.00
quarter 40 $10.00 quarter 40 $10.00
dime 14 $1.40 dime 14 $5.60
nickle 14 $0.70 nickle 14 $6.30
cent 78 $0.78 cent 78 $38.22
Sac dollar 6 $6.00 Sac dollar 6 -$3.00
S B Anthoy $ 2 $2.00 S B Anthoy $ 2 -$1.00

Total $963.88 $963.88 $56.12
Difference $36.12 Difference $999.12
Keys 1
Rubber bands 1
Chalk 2
Hair too much

As well as the key, the rubber band, the chalk hunks, and way more hair than I care to admit that I pulled out there were various paperscraps, belly button lint, and toe jam that I had to contend with.

Busy until next week, but will e-mail the spreadsheet to the president of my bank. Either he or the customer is getting screwed by the coin service. I will offer my services to go through more bags if needed and am currently thinking of starting a bank coin service that is more accurate to the bank and to the customer as I am getting ready to sell my share of the business to the partners and getting ready to get something else going.

Not sure who is getting the short end here, but somebody is and it was me today as I am the one that paid above the bag amount. Normally the coin service would have given them the money so maybe they are getting shorted. Seems fine to me as they are the ones supplying the machine. They probably come out ahead when dimes end up in the penny bag, but halves have to be the worst as everything is amaller and can end up there.

Just thought that I would share my days labor. Well, not really labor but play time.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread