Ok, lets "stir the pot" a little.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, let's "stir the pot" a little.

As most here know, I am a proponent of "wet" gold prospecting as apposed to "dry" (i.e. drywashing). Here is an excerpt from page 82 of BLM bulletin #4 Placer Examination - Priciples and Practice. John H. Wells: (bold type is mine) This shows the gold to be eleven times heavier than gravel when immersed in water, as compared to 7:1 in air. Simply stated - the relative weight of gold is about 1 1/2 times greater when passing through a wet process than when passing through a drywasher.... it no doubt contibutes to the dry washer's often poor recovery of fine or flaky gold. Drywashing is a viable method in arid regions but give me water if I can take it to the site. (Let's argue... snicker) TTC

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good day,

You should build a screen box like my company uses to keep larger debris out of the totes or buckets. We supply a standard window squeegee (like you see at gas stations) and the rubber edge pushes the rocks off the screen easily and your run-time is extended tremendously between cleaning out totes or buckets. Here is a pic so you get an idea of how we do it.

View attachment 772187
View attachment 772188

Thanks, Chris
I like that screen for pushing the rocks off! I have a Gold Buddy and this is always a problem when using it. The tailings are always overrunning the tub!

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like that screen for pushing the rocks off! I have a Gold Buddy and this is always a problem when using it. The tailings are always overrunning the tub!

Good day dieselram94,

Yes we spent many years perfecting this design and the main problem was always the tubs filling up too quick. With this screen and a 30 gallon tote folks can run about 8-10 buckets before you need to "muck out" the tubs. The only thing in the tubs is a fine silt and it really does work well. As TerryC noted also it helps filter out the roots and other vegetative debris too.

Thanks much, Chris

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think I will be building one for my Gold Buddy!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had another brain fart. I need to put a nylon stocking on the pipe to the 2nd tub. That will catch all the floating organics.
Maybe a nylon on both tubs.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Real sweet set up! Love seeing the home made

Projects in action!

I'm more of a pan and move guy, quick, in and out. But I do love the fact of having a wet station close to me camping. :)

Always nice to wash those tailing. Good job
On that bro!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay Scott you said you like action everybody likes action so I got some action check it out I did a video I posted it on YouTube and I already found gold with this thing. My latest creation. Now live on YouTube. I Love to build mining gear. Even though it could be awhile before I can use this up at EF (hopeful thinking). I will be taking it out to my next desert outing. It does what I want it to, I reduces clay build up in the water so I can run more material before I need to clean or change the water. :goldpan: I also post this all over Facebook. I'm so proud of myself.:goldpan:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very nice indeed :icon_thumleft: I also like recirculating water . Reducing water usage helps me to not spend much time and effort in bringing more supplies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread