OK newbe to the "Points" world needs some help.

bryan

Feb 7, 2006
Southern Illinois
OK newbe to the "Points" world needs some help.

I live in southern illinois. There was indian activity all over the area where I live. I have asked several people that know where to go hunt for arrowheads but they wont tell cause they dont want the site that they know about all picked out. How do i go about finding a spot to go? There should be winter camps and other areas around here but i dont know where to start. I have looked all over the net an i still cant find anything. Where should i start?

Upvote 0

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
Re: OK newbe to the "Points" world needs some help.

Hello Bryan, They were attracted to the same type of an area that you or I would be ,unfortunetly cities and towns are built on most of the best sites as early settlers ran them off of them or gave them disease that they had no resistance to,and then settled there themselves . Most of the early roads were built on Indian Trails . So along old roads[check old I mean OLD mapsfor early roads] look for areas you would of set up a hunting camp usually near a river or stream and take a post hole digger and take a few core samples ,look for flint chippings ,pottery shards and if you are lucky arrowheads.Always ask property owners permission first.Also where two rivers meet is usually a good bet as they used rivers for transportation.Most rivers didn't used to be as deep as they are now ,the lock system deepened them for commercial purposes years ago.The rock shelters they lived in usually faced the morning sun in the winter . Almost any rock shelter/cave facing the sun in winter that is near a stream or river [up to a half of a mile or so ] is at good spot to take some core samples . Dig down three feet if not more and try a few spots . I hope that this helps Bryan did you get the book ?Take Care and Good Luck Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions