Ok, so I want to try nuggetshooting/prospecting in AZ, but...

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
#1 I'm out of money and only have a White's XLT right now, so a gold detector isn't an option (Unless someone wants to donate me one, heh).

#2 I don't know where to look without joining a local club (Something else I can't really afford right now) or where i'm allowed to look.

Don't really know anyone locally that detects at all (I wish Arizona Al was still here, moved before I got into the hobby)

Any ideas?

thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'm in glendale myself.

The last time I contacted a local nuggethunter he said it wasen't worth going with him unless I had a gold detector. So it kinda got me depressed at the idea for awhile.

I know they're not all like that, but I figure i'll probably have to start out alone.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt that the man you spoke with was being intentionally rude. The problem with nugget hunting is that, even with good equipment, you can spend lots of time and find nothing. Without a detector specifically designed for gold hunting it could get pretty frustrating.

Any detector will find gold, but it may not find the tiny pieces or the deep nuggets that a gold detector will. In my opinion it's always worth the trip if you're not spending a ton of money and lots of vacation time for the trip. For me it's a twenty minute drive, so it's always worthwhile to get out into the hills.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged.

Marc

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
Lavisian, the fact is that ANY modern metal detector CAN find gold nuggets, IF those nuggets are big enough, and shallow enough. However, it is also true that metal detectors specifically designed for nugget hunting are FAR better for that pursuit then are "standard" metal detectors. Your XLT. opedrated in theh prospecting mode, with the SAT set to max, and the autotracking also set to max, will find nuggets 9 grains or larger. But not very deep. If you have $400.00 to spend on a complete nugget hunting setup, top-fligh as-new gold detector, quality headphones, case, digger, boos, etc., fire me an email at [email protected].

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
My Tesoro is a good machine and only goes by sound....I would never give this odl machine up, but
in any case if i was really enterseted I would trade it or something in if that could ba an option.
My machine gets down pretty far and I have found some good stuff for the little time I have put into it!You know there is also other ways you can help boost your machine..with a sound booster attachment it really helps with my machine.Always use good earphones and keep new batteries with you all the time.I also dig alittle where I am so to hear the item better if it is really deep.A hand held metal detector pin pointer is really good for finding the deeper item also...in any case there is always a way to make the journey a easeir and safer fun find!I am not a expert...I have a area where I use different items as a patch for checking deepness testing and how my machine reacts to each item..that may not be tru for other machines but if I did get a new machine..I would surely test and check how it works. I also have a flashlight to attach to my machine so when it gets darker..I don't hurt my eye sight when searching....I also thought of figuring a way to use the sun with detectors..I mentioned that to a man at a earth show..He said they may look into that...Not where alive though...That could help not use batteries so much.You acn do that for radios also!those shows are good to go to and learn stuff!Hey they could even use lazer beams for metal detecting to pin piont an itemin the dark! Just a thought and the same idea they use for fishing to see the fish under the boat...but it would be for metal detecting ! just future thinking!Where there is a will, there is way!

J

Justadad1999

Hi Boys & Girls,

I don't have a machine designed just for Gold but the important thing to me is to just get out there with my machine, mama nature and have fun regardless of where I am at the time.

And hopefully, get lucky I want to go there and play too.

HH

Larry-El Paso

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread