Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED PICS.

You'll understand my vague subject line by the end. ;)

Went to a couple three places today. I started out going to the last field I was on but today there was some sort of function there. I opted for plan B. BUT, on my way there, I saw this lonesome, open field/park. It was freshly mowed and kind of wandered along a tiny creek. So, plan B quickly became plan C. :)

I was only interested in making a quick exploration, high end targets and cover a bit of random ground. Just to see what I might be dealing with there. Turned out to be very, very rocky and trashy with just a thin layer of soil. Plenty grass to look at, but not much under. I figure it was because of the creek flooding over the years, washed out.

Anyway, I did manage to uncover a coin. ONE! In about an hour walking around and that was a very flaky hit! LOL

2014 (593).jpg

A wheatie, fair condition, tossed in the pouch and moved onto plan C.
But, we'll revisit this one.

This was a fall back plan. It was the same place where I turned that 2 center back a while ago. That's been the ONLY old coin to come out of several walks there. Nice place, just not much old coming out.

Still, all in all, not too bad a day:

2014 (588).jpg
2014 (589).jpg
2014 (590).jpg

Just about the teeniest bling ring I ever found! LOL

2014 (591).jpg
2014 (592).jpg

I think fishy got away with that one cause Blingy was
too busy trying to wear this. I tried to tell him he couldn't
wear an earring, he needed ears! ;) But, he wasn't having
any of that! :)

2014 (596).jpg
2014 (597).jpg
2014 (598).jpg
2014 (599).jpg
2014 (600).jpg

Got this weird piece next to the cornfield.
Non-magnetic, about 18.18 grams, not lead.
I'm not sure how to proceed with this one. The brown is mostly dirt. I'm
also not sure how to even attempt cleaning it any further. You see it's fairly
uniform but fraying at the edges. Not even sure the metal.
Rings in at a solid 72. :dontknow:

Now, about that wheatie up there.
I got it home and immediately noticed a date. I did some VERY careful
cleaning and some serious forensic work. Using the high magnification that I have at hand,
I have completely convinced myself what this is. BUT, I can't do anymore proof than the following
pics. I just am not equipped to take the high magnification shots that might show you why
I'm pretty certain. So, the following is the best I can do.

2014 (594).jpg
2014 (595).jpg

Now, you guys can think whatever you want, but I am quite satisfied with the results of my forensics.

OH! And, yes, I did some study on fakes of this coin. I do know they're out there and am pretty good
by now at being able to tell. (40 years is a LONG time! LOL )

I am FINALLY crossing one of the coins off my bucket list. It's one that's been on there ever since
I started hunting some 40 years ago.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that! LOL

I am one VERY happy camper tonight. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome congrats!!!! If I'm seeing it right SVDB. 1909!!! WTG! And it wasn't even your first choice of places to go!

I can just see it I think (S), and I can barely see the VDB. I would be very excited if I had found it. Congrats!

I think this is what you do now: Just detect for whatever ends up under your coil. Impossible to be disappointed that way! Congrats on one of the Holy Grails of the hobby.

Wow Whadi, what a find! Congrats and I don,t know what you do next.

Congrats on what im assuming is a vdb!

I also found one last yr without an s

Thanks for all the responses everyone!
And to the ones who chose to believe, I feel you at least deserve one more peek.

But, before any of you forensic doubters out there start your engines and try to use my own pics against me.
Remember two things, one is that you don't have ALL the evidence available to the person who has the coin in hand.
AND......the "decision" has already been made and will not change in my display. ;)

2014 (601).jpg
2014 (602).jpg

Thanks again to all responders, doubters and undoubters alike! :)

BUT, for those who simply just HAVE to have further proof. Here it is:

2014 (603).jpg

With help from Blingie & Fishy.

Try to enjoy the day and, do it anyway! LOL

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on finding a RARE penny and for marking off a key item on your bucket list! :thumbsup: I know you were excited after the initial cleaning to see that date and mint mark. Another oil bath may help to clean it even further.

:)
Breezie

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding a RARE penny and for marking off a key item on your bucket list! :thumbsup: I know you were excited after the initial cleaning to see that date and mint mark. Another oil bath may help to clean it even further.

:)
Breezie

Oh my yes! I've looked pretty hard at every single wheatie I've ever found. Hoping upon hope. AND....the neatest thing about this one? It was in a large open field that caught my eye. Must've been either a land fill, a river flood plain or trash dump. There was a LOT of junky metals and rocks in the ground. I walked around as a test for about an hour. This was not only the only coin I found it was the only keeper. Lot of digging, one coin.

Who says some finds are just not a destiny. LOL

Thanks!

MANFROMCLAD01

Nov 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is that real???? a freaking 1909svdb??? that is really something! they should put that up top! wtgwhatifound!

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
WHATIFIND, great find! Please don't label me a naysayer, but I love research, and after digging around I found some examples of the four different obverse dies. As you may already know, the four known dies have four different mint mark positions and they can look very similar.

In the following images -
Mint Mark # 1 and #2 are your coin with the highest possible mint mark position marked with a red line.
Mint Mark # 3 has the highest "S" mint mark out of all four mint marks. Notice that the top of the "S" is above both the legs of the 9 digits from the date.
Mint Mark # 4 has the top of the "S" mint mark flush to the bottom of the 9 digits on the date.
Mint Mark # 5 also has the top of the "S" mint mark flush with both the bottom of the 9 digits on the date. However, the left side of the "S" mint mark is not flush vertically with the right of the first 9 in the date. Instead, it is vertically aligned closer to the center of the space between the first 9 and the 0 in the date.
Mint Mark # 6 has the lowest mint mark position of all. The top of the "S" mint mark does not even come close to touching the bottom of the 9 digits.
Genuine Mint Marks will also display parallel serifs. If you look at mint mark below labeled "Parallel Mint Mark" the two serifs point in the same direction vertically, in a parallel position.

1909svdbcount02.jpg

I am in no way saying this coin is not what you say it is, but more inspection needs to be done to prove it one way or another, given the known genuine varieties. Meanwhile keep doing what your doing because I love your posts and seeing all your great finds!

old-cabin11.jpg

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can tell something is there for sure, a solid tight S, of the smaller variety. And it could still very possibly be a unknown mint mark in which case would be huge. You know like one of those test run strikes. Any chance you re going to get it cleaned up real good whad?

I looked at it a little longer, any chance the number 1,0 and the letter s was a seperate strike then the 9 and 9? It looks like the aforementioned are all set a lil higher in retrospect to the 9 and 9. I havent seen a single fake in thousands of images quite like this one, or even the authentics. What do you really have here?!
2014 (603).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHATIFIND, great find! Please don't label me a naysayer, but I love research....
I am in no way saying this coin is not what you say it is, but more inspection needs to be done to prove it one way or another,

MT_Joe, as long as you are happy doing the research, go for it! Research the blue blazes off it! That's what it's all about, enjoying oneself.
As to the proof needed? I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. After all, it is my coin now AND I am satisfied. No matter who has a need to "prove" they are right. I have seen it. Unfortunately, corrosion loves to pick on the highest parts first. What's left does NOT fit the "familiar" views. Remnants are there but high magnification is needed to tell where the base actually sat.
Enjoy!

You can tell something is there for sure, a solid tight S, of the smaller variety. And it could still very possibly be a unknown mint mark in which case would be huge. You know like one of those test run strikes. Any chance you re going to get it cleaned up real good whad?
What do you really have here?!

What I have? A 1909 -S VDB penny in terrible shape. But not so much that it can't be seen. I've had much newer coins that couldn't boast the detail this one still shows. ESPECIALLY, under very high magnification. Cleaning it up some more? Why? I ALREADY know what it is. :)

Even if it turns out not to be an S VDB, a 1909 lincoln is a tough coin to find.

It is and yes, it's rare.

Thanks all!

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i mean is you may have a very rare test strike one, it dont look right, but it isnt fake i think either. Something like this Mike Byers Inc. - U.S. Gold Coins - Numismatic Rarities - Fine Art
Where the mint was testing strikes and the die. Yours doesn't appear to have a perfectly aligned numbers. Im probably pulling at strings that are not there, but they do have these type coins out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i mean is you may have a very rare test strike one, it dont look right, but it isnt fake i think either. Something like this Mike Byers Inc. - U.S. Gold Coins - Numismatic Rarities - Fine Art
Where the mint was testing strikes and the die. Yours doesn't appear to have a perfectly aligned numbers. Im probably pulling at strings that are not there, but they do have these type coins out there.

Oh, I understand! Wouldn't it be just freaking interesting if I not only found a 1909 S VDB but, a mint error of that coin as well!? LOL

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
"Unfortunately, corrosion loves to pick on the highest parts first."

If this is true, which it is, why did the corrosion pick on the "S" and not the date right above it??:icon_scratch:.......... and if you look at all the corrosion below the "S" it looks like you might actually have a 1909-SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSVDB....point being, simple corrosion comes in all shapes and forms, even shaped like the letter "S"

Do you have a 1909 VDB?.....Absolutely and congrats on that:thumbsup:....Do you have a S-VDB, no, I 'm sorry but you don't.

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Unfortunately, corrosion loves to pick on the highest parts first."

If this is true, which it is, why did the corrosion pick on the "S" and not the date right above it??:icon_scratch:.......... and if you look at all the corrosion below the "S" it looks like you might actually have a 1909-SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSVDB....point being, simple corrosion comes in all shapes and forms, even shaped like the letter "S"

Do you have a 1909 VDB?.....Absolutely and congrats on that:thumbsup:....Do you have a S-VDB, no, I 'm sorry but you don't.

HH all!

Greg

I am so glad you took time out of your busy day to tell me that, but, the corrosion has indeed affected the date as well. I don't recall any rules of progression of corrosives except the obvious that they do.

Again, though, you do not have ALL the evidence and I do and enough so that I know that yes, I have a 1909 VDB with a San Francisco mint mark.

What's more, I never asked. So, all the experts out there? Might as well put it on simmer. I have nothing to prove, to anyone and am not looking for any OTHER expert's opinions than the ones I consulted with on my own. They have seen and understand.

But, don't let me stop you! If you enjoy researching/scientific forensics/proving you're right, well then, by all means, have at it!!!
Enjoy proving your points scientifically using the couple pics I provided as absolute forensic evidence of your point(s).

Something I don't understand though, is just WHY it is Sooooo important for me to be wrong! Is there a pool somewhere I didn't know about? If there is, let me know, I'll sell every house I own and make the dive! LOL

Excuse me, I'm going to go look at my 1909-s-vdb penny some more, bet you don't have that as one of your pleasures. ;) LOL

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I for one am happy for you and like I said, keep up the good work and great posts!:icon_thumleft: And trust me, I never wanted for you to be wrong.

old-cabin34.jpg

Last edited:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I am so glad you took time out of your busy day to tell me that, but, the corrosion has indeed affected the date as well. I don't recall any rules of progression of corrosives except the obvious that they do.

Again, though, you do not have ALL the evidence and I do and enough so that I know that yes, I have a 1909 VDB with a San Francisco mint mark.

What's more, I never asked. So, all the experts out there? Might as well put it on simmer. I have nothing to prove, to anyone and am not looking for any OTHER expert's opinions than the ones I consulted with on my own. They have seen and understand.

But, don't let me stop you! If you enjoy researching/scientific forensics/proving you're right, well then, by all means, have at it!!!
Enjoy proving your points scientifically using the couple pics I provided as absolute forensic evidence of your point(s).

Something I don't understand though, is just WHY it is Sooooo important for me to be wrong! Is there a pool somewhere I didn't know about? If there is, let me know, I'll sell every house I own and make the dive! LOL

Excuse me, I'm going to go look at my 1909-s-vdb penny some more, bet you don't have that as one of your pleasures. ;) LOL

OK, this is such an odd thread but I'll try again to convey my point......WE ALL WANT YOU TO HAVE A 1909-SVDB Wheat Cent, EVERY ONE OF US! We ALL wish it came out of the ground shiny and red for you.

With that said, you don't have one with this find...and it's OK, IT'S REALLY OK!......I feel badly for the people who took time from their day and SHOWED YOU the 4 known obverse dies for this date and mint and yours doesn't match any of them...you don't really think that you found an SVDB AND it is a discovery piece with a previously unknown #5 obverse die, do you????.....not to mention your extremely clear pictures that show zero evidence of an "S". Zero.

I don't subscribe to the "ok kids, every team wins and every kid gets a trophy" mentality......I WANT you (and whoever might be inheriting this coin from you) to know what you have.....and it's not a 1909-SVDB.....it's just not BUT I wish it was!!

To know me is to know that I am an extremely positive person so please don't take this as being negative, it's simply just me wanting you to know exactly what you have.

HH all!

Greg

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, this is such an odd thread but I'll try again to convey my point......

Oh don't misunderstand me, I always appreciate help when I ask for it. But, some have as their point, to be right. No matter how the discussion goes, they will go on and on and on attempting to convince .....themselves I guess. :dontknow: Just because something has never been seen before, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Also, some, who like to look through rose colored glasses will not be dissuaded from what they believe. Just call me "rosie". ;)

I feel very sorry for all the people who wasted their own time doing research and forensically proving their "point(s)" when, what it was, was never asked. Appreciate it AND the plethora of skills shown in the performance, but, kind of a waste.

And, with all that, careful, considerate explanation, I'll leave you with the very last words on the subject.

Now, I'm going to go look at my 1909 - S VDB mint error/test strike some more and enjoy the rest of my day. :)

(see what I meant about "what would happen if I came on here and flatly stated I found a 1909 svdb and here's the pics" ? )

What is it, "Fake or Real" , was that just a thread for the fun of it or a rule. Guess I was wrong about that as well.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

A very enjoyable read my friend! :thumbsup:
Congrats on the 'bling ring' too ... the flattened blob looks like it could be a pop can that's been melted in a fire. :icon_scratch:

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread